Dedicated to Tom Booth of Long Branch (1951-2019).
Rich in historic imagery, as a place offering shore sun and fun Long Branch has had few peers. Here is a digital photo collection on this amazing city. (Again, I claim no ownership of the images — I just track them down and post them). I’ll keep updating this section, so please return. And I’m always in search of more Long Branch photos. If you want to share any contact me HERE.
Golf Land along Ocean Avenue, 1950s.
Max’s on the LB boardwalk, 1960s.
Max’s on the LB boardwalk, 1970s.
LB beach scene, early 1900s.
Crammer’s Pool on Ocean Ave, 1960s.
Long Branch day dawns, 2020.
Learning in Long Branch …
The ultimate historical account of Long Branch — the 1940 bio-book Entertaining a Nation — gives “praise to the city’s three fighting superintendents” for guaranteeing the city’s educational heritage. They being: Thomas G. Chattle, Christopher Gregory and Charles T. Stone.
Formal education for Long Branch started in West Long Branch in 1780 at a schoolhouse on Cedar Avenue. It wasn’t until 1812 when the first Long Branch school opened on Broadway and then expanded in 1840. John Wood was the first schoolmaster. The original Long Branch Primary School No. 1 was opened on Broadway in 1870; built for about $50,000. That same year the first Garfield Avenue school was also opened.
The first Long Branch board of education was formed in 1873 and within three years the city’s first high school on Prospect Street was opened. Dr. James Green was the first principal.
Today there are eight schools located throughout the city which educate about 5,800 students. Following are some photos of the city’s schools through the years:
Broadway School, 1950s. Built in 1890; closed in 1981. In the mid-1970s, it held nearly 350 students.
Broadway School at the time of its closing in 1981. In 1984, Arthur and Frank Siegfried acquired the red brick building for $50,000 and added $2 million more in renovations. Today, it’s an office building.
Chattle High School on Morris Avenue, 1905. The $78,000, four-story brick building was opened in October 1899. Named for Dr. Thomas G. Chattle — “the father of the city school system” — who became superintendent in 1857. A physician, he also served in the NJ state assembly and senate.
Chattle School Building fire, March 1966. Some 650 junior high students were evacuated from the Morris Avenue school in under 2 minutes.
Long Branch High School on Westwood Avenue, 2010s. Opened in 1927; closed in 2007.
Long Branch High School, 1950s. Designed by Ernest A. Arend; cost was $683,000.
Long Branch High School, 1990s.
Old North Long Branch School area, 2018. Also called the “Church Street School,” the three-story brick building was gutted by fire in April 1928 but reopened the following year.
North Long Branch School, 1980s. Opened in 1891; closed in 1979. After sitting dormant for 40 years it’s being converted into high-end condos.
North Long Branch School on Church Street. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
Bucktown School on Norwood Avenue, 1930s. Built in 1840 by George Northam.
Liberty Street School, 1940s. Established as a “colored school” in 1884, under pressure from the local NACCP the city school board integrated the school in April 1947.
Long Branch Graded School. The building opened for classes in Sept. 1876.
LB Intermedial School. Opened in 1912 on Morris Avenue at a cost of $137,000.
LB Grammar School, early 1900s.
New Gregory School on Monmouth Avenue. Opened in 2007, the school cost $24 million.
Old Gregory School at Seventh and Joline Avenues. Opened in 1924 and named for Christopher Gregory, a city Superintendent of Schools for 32 years (1889-1921). Today it’s a senior citizen apartment complex.
George L. Catrambone Elementary School on Park Avenue. The K-5 school was built for $40 million and opened in 2014. Mr. Catrambone worked in the city’s school system for nearly 40 years, starting as a special ed teacher and retiring as assistant superintendent. It replaced the old Elberon School which opened in January 1954.
Amerigo A. Anastasia School on Seventh Avenue. Opened in 2005, the grammar school cost $24 million. It was named for Dr. Anastasia, a longtime city pharmacist and school board president. The school on Morris Avenue had been the old “Anastasia School.”
Lenna W. Conrow School, 1958. The Long Branch Avenue school opened in 1955 and was named for its retiring principal, Miss Conrow, who started teaching at the North End school in 1904.
Joseph M. Ferraina Early Childhood Learning Center on Avenel Blvd. Opened in 1999. The namesake ran the city’s school system from 1992 until 2011 and helped secure massive state funding for many new schools.
West End School on West End Avenue. When it closed in 2014, it was the city’s oldest operating school. The NJ Repertory Company acquired the property for $2 million in 2016.
New Garfield School on Garfield Avenue under construction in 1964. The old school that dated to 1870 had burned suspiciously in 1963.
LB Schools Superintendent Joseph Ferraina at the opening of new Gregory School, 2007. At that time thanks to Abbot district funding the city received nearly $200 million to built/renovate 8 schools.
Star of the Sea Academy on Chelsea Avenue, 1940s.
Star of the Sea Lyceum, 1950s. Designed by Jeremiah O’Rourke & Sons in 1900.
Star of the Sea Lyceum. The Catholic elementary school was at Third and Chelsea Avenues.
Star of the Sea Lyceum School on Chelsea Avenue. Built in 1900; closed in 1986.
Star of the Sea Academy, 1968.
Star of the Sea Lyceum on Chelsea Avenue, 2019.
Star of the Sea Lyceum basement, 2019.
Star of the Sea Lyceum 1st floor, 2019.
LB Pier in the ’70s
Long Branch Pier …
The first ever Long Branch pier on the Atlantic Ocean was built in 1828. It was called the “Bath House Pier” and was used mainly as a dock for steamboats to and from NYC. That pier was destroyed in a November 1854 nor’easter (the same storm that doomed the infamous clipper ship New Era). By 1875, the “East End Excursion Pier” (and an adjacent hotel) was built at North Long Branch by “Gilded Age robber barons” Jay Gould and Jim Fisk. Poorly constructed, it was wrecked by a storm in less than a month.
In the following years three more Long Branch piers were built. The “Ocean Pier” opened in 1879 but was wrecked by a major storm after just a few years. The “Iron Pier” — probably the most elaborate of all the city’s wharfside efforts — opened in 1881 at the apex of the Long Branch resort craze. It stood until 1901 when it was severely damaged first by a storm and later by a boat collision.
After a decade of delays, the “Amusement/Fishing Pier” costing $1 million, finally opened in 1912. Built by Samuel Rosoff, this last city pier was 825-feet long. It would survive past all previous piers, 75 years — until June 1987 when it burned in a spectacular fire.
In 2005, the $100 million Pier Village community opened minus a pier. The city has been debating the idea of a new pier for over 30 years. The last time the matter was seriously discussed the price tag for a modern pier cleared $50 million.
Which LB pier was this? Maybe the first pier?
LB bluffs, in-between piers, 1874.
LB Pier, late 1870s.
LB Pier construction workers. Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper, May 1879.
LB Pier. Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper, May 1879.
LB Pier, 1880.
LB Pier seating, 1879.
LB Pier, 1879. The Plymouth Rock steamship owned by James Fisk is seen docked. The round-trip LB-to-NYC boat fare was 60 cents.
LB Pier sketching, 1880.
LB Pier. Opened in 1879, the pier extended 860 feet into the Atlantic Ocean.
LB Pier in background, late 1800s.
LB beach and pier, early 1900s.
LB Pier, early 1900s.
Long Branch casino, early 1900s.
LB boardwalk with no pier, 1909.
LB boardwalk and new pier, 1912.
LB boardwalk, 1915.
LB roller coaster, 1910. Called the “Scenic Railway” — it was built across from the pier in Ocean Park by William Piper. At the time it was the world’s highest coaster. It only lasted a few years, until Piper’s son Raymond was thrown from one of the cars and died on Labor Day weekend 1913.
LB Pier, 1926.
LB Pier, 1927.
Max’s on the boardwalk, 1928.
LB Pier, 1930s.
LB boardwalk, 1931.
LB boardwalk, 1930s.
LB boardwalk, 1930s.
LB Pier Memories …
While researching the history of Long Branch piers (there have been five in all; the first built in 1828), I ran across a few things more than once. Any of these sound familiar:
Jaeger’s Restaurant, Pier Pub, Long Branch Pier Association, Chelsea Pool, Jungle Golf, William Piper, Daniel Maher, Sowul family, Jimmy Liu, Ric-Cic Co., Job Johnson, skee-ball, Long Branch Pier and Land Company, Ferris Wheel Marathon of ’75, Stan Dziuba, Kid’s World, Pistol Pete’s, Raymond Baffery, Haunted Mansion, Shooter’s Lounge, Rufus Hatch’s Iron Steamboat Co., Bill Shiel, George Gold, Garrett Hennessey, and Palm trees.
Dancing on the LB Pier. APP ad, June 1931.
LB Pier, 1933.
George’s Bar & Grill on LB Pier, 1930s.
LB Pier damage after storm, Sept. 1944. That’s a merry-go-round wrecked.
Funland Park at LB Pier 1952.
LB Pier, 1950s.
Playland Arcade on LB boardwalk, 1950s.
LB Pier aerial view, 1950s.
LB Pier aerial view, 1950s.
LB fishing pier, 1950s.
LB Pier, 1950s.
Max’s Famous Hot Dogs on the LB boardwalk, 1960s. The original owner, Max Altman, started a hot dog stand there in 1928. Milford “Max” Maybaum acquired the business in 1950. When he died in 1980, his wife Celia (known as “Mrs. Max”) and his son Bobby ran the popular eatery. She died in 2016; Bob in 2013.
LB boardwalk postcard, 1960s.
LB pier, 1970s.
LB pier, 1975.
LB Pier, 1960s.
LB Pier postcard, 1960s.
Wizard’s World Arcade on the LB boardwalk, 1970s.
Haunted Mansion on the LB Amusement Pier, 1978. Grand opening for the 32-room, 37-actor fright house was July 1978. Admission was $3. Owned by Carmen and Thomas Ricci, it all burned in June 1987.
Roller skating at LB Pier, 1970s.
Num’s on the Boardwalk, 1980.
LB boardwalk looking north, 1970s.
Water slide at LB boardwalk, 1978.
LB Pier, 1978.
Max’s on the LB boardwalk, 1978. The family opened a new restaurant on Matilda Terrace in 1985.
LB Pier, 1980. Ric-Cic, Inc. bought the pier in 1979 and developed the Haunted Mansion and Kid’s World.
Big Al’s on the boardwalk, 1980s.
LB Pier at night, 1985.
Long Branch Pier in ruins from major fire, June 1987.
LB Pier on fire, June 1987.
LB Pier on Fire, June 1987.
LB Pier on Fire, June 1987.
LB Pier on fire, June 1987.
LB Pier fire, June 1987.
Gov. Tom Kean and Mayor Phil Huhn after touring the LB Pier fire, June 1987.
LB Pier fire, June 1987.
LB Pier fire, June 1987.
LB Pier sketch proposal, 2013.
Pier Village (without pier) looking north, 2018.
Pier Village carousel, 2019. No pier but a merry-go-round.
North Long Branch images …
It was called “Fishtown” in Entering a Nation and “Atlanticville” from the Beers map below. The rough boundaries of North Long Branch are Monmouth Beach to the north, Joline Avenue to the south, the Atlantic Ocean to the east and Troutman’s Creek to the west. Speaking as an outside observer, although I did live there for about 5 years, it is a place that time forget. It’s also one of my favorite spots. There’s a laid back feel to the community. Here’s a brief photo essay about the area.
North Long Branch area, F.W. Beers Map 1873.
North Long Branch cottages along Ocean Avenue , 1910.
North Long Branch, 1908.
North Long Branch cottages, 1920.
On the beach in North End, 1920s.
North Long Branch beach gate, 2001.
North Long Branch beach, 2018.
Hanging out at North End beach, 1970s.
North End beach near MB border, 1980s.
North End beach looking south, 1980s.
North End beach looking into MB at dawn, 2018.
Thomas Booth tribute bench at Jackson Woods park, 2019. Beginning in 1973, Tom championed the cause to protect the 11-acre tract in North End. In 1995, the city used $1.2 million in state Green Acres funds to reacquire the property from a condo developer. Charles T. Jackson had farmed the area around the turn of the century.
Sand replenishment near LB-MB border, 1995 (Jack Flaherty Photo).
Asbury United Methodist Church on Atlantic Avenue in North End. The steeple was removed in 1945.
Asbury United Methodist Church, 1960s. Called: “The Friendly Church by the Sea.”
Asbury United Methodist Church, 2020. Designed and built by Charles Bolton in 1894.
Oliver Byron Engine Company on Atlantic Avenue. Named after and financed by the famous actor and opened in 1890.
Johnny’s Luncheonette on Atlantic Avenue, 1960s. Edwin A. Nilson, Sr. ran the business for many years beginning in 1964. Born in Brooklyn, Ed was a LBHS football player, World War II US Navy vet, LB fire chief, and milkman. He died in 1990.
Johnny’s Luncheonette on Atlantic Avenue, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo). Ed Nilson moved the shop here in 1981.
Johnny’s Luncheonette on Atlantic Avenue to the left, 1970s. The slogan: “Even the crumbs taste good.” Winifred Stevens was a waitress at Johnny’s and the renamed North Beach Grill for over 40 years.
The remains of east Atlantic Avenue, 2010. The building on the left housed barbers for years like Errico’s.
Bits & Pieces on Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1970s. Mike Booth ran the store.
Peddler Bicycle Shop on Ocean Blvd, APP 2001. Anthony “Ducky” Schiavo started the business in 1970. A true biking pioneer, he was the first in the area to sell 10-speed bikes. A former MB School teacher, he died in 2001 at age 57.
Original Peddler Bike Shop building on old Ocean Avenue, 1970s.
Diamond’s Pharmacy on Atlantic Avenue. The business was started by Joseph Diamond. Sal Trocchia was the able pharmacist-owner from 1963-1985. The drug store still operates in Ursula Plaza run by Stuart Eisenberg.
Chi Chi’s Red Barn on Avenel Blvd., 1980s. Later to become Charley’s Ocean Grill. According to legend it had other names: Chappie’s and Muldoon’s.
Charley’s Ocean Grill ad. APP, April 1985.
New Ocean Blvd under construction, early 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
New Ocean Avenue under construction looking north in MB, 1980s.
North Long Branch, late 1970s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
Atlantic Surf Shop on Atlantic Avenue, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
Islanders Sun, Surf & Sports Shop, 1970s. Near the MB-LB boarder on Ocean Avenue.
Vinnie Troniec at his Islanders Surf Shop on Ocean Avenue, APP 1982. His store was one of the last to go to make way for the new 1.7-mile, $15 million Ocean Blvd-Route 36 four-lane road project. Ultimately evicted by the state, he claimed $100,000 in annual earnings at the location.
Mocean’s Surf Shop on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
Beach Plum restaurant on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
Vinnie’s Hot Dogs on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
North End Motel postcard. The 14-unit efficiency apartment complex on Ocean Avenue and Avenel Blvd opened in June 1962. The builder was Ernest Caprio, Jr.; construction cost was $90,000. The motel was torn down in November 1988 to make way for the Beachcomber Towers.
Ursula Plaza on Ocean Blvd, 2010s. The 33,000-square-foot mini-mall was built by Jack Caputo in 1988 and named after his wife. The family bakery/pastry shop is in the mall; it started on Lower Broadway in 1960.
Lido Hotel in North End, 1964. Built in 1924, the 32-room hotel was located on the bend of Seaview Avenue and old Ocean Avenue.
Dueling Gaskin’s Seafood Markets in North End, 1960s. The business was begun by Conover Gaskin, Sr.
George Gaskin’s Fish Market, early 1970s.
George Gaskin’s Fish Market, 1970s.
Gaskins Fish Market & Restaurant on New Ocean Avenue, 1979. George and Helen Gaskin were the owners.
Gaskin’s Fish Market, 1986.
Gaskin’s Fish Market, early 1990s.
Windmill building demolition, 2019.
Old Strollo’s Lighthouse, 2000.
New Strollo’s Lighthouse at night, 2019. Jimmy Callano is the owner.
NJ National Guard Armory on old Ocean Avenue 1980s. Built in 1959 for $320,000.
North Long Branch aerial image, 1951. In the center is the Presley Garage. William Presley also owned the Galilee Fishery in Monmouth Beach. A North End native, he died in 1965 at age 84.
North Long Branch aerial image, 2018.
North Long Branch School on Church Street. Opened in 1891; closed in 1979. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
North Long Branch School on Church Street, 2013. After sitting dormant for 40 years it’s being converted into high-end condos.
Atlantic Hotel, 1860s. Now Seven President’s Park.
East End Hotel in North End. Built by Jay Gould and Jim Fisk, it opened in June 1873. Sometimes the place was called the Excursion House. A pier and train depot were also built nearby. The area is now Seven President’s Oceanfront Park.
Arlington House, late 1800s. Area now Seven President’s Park.
“The Reservation” project in North Long Branch built by Nate Salisbury, early 1900s.
The Reservation property, early 1970s. The area is now Seven President’s Park.
The Reservation History — HERE
Reservation house in North End, 1972. Called “Cheyenne” — the Foran family lived there.
Reservation house in North End, 1972. Called “Okaliska” — Dr. Sheehan and family lived there.
Reservation house in North End, 1972. Called “Arapahoe” — the Langhorne family lived there.
Dr. George A. Sheehan, Sr. house at The Reservation, 1970s. The Sheehan family owned the North End house from 1927 to 1953.
The only remaining Reservation house “Navaho,” 1970s. Now Seven Presidents Park headquarters.
“Navaho” — Seven Presidents Park headquarters in North End, 2013. The county park opened in May 1977
Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1908.
Atlantic Avenue in North End looking east, 1923.
Atlantic Avenue in North Long Branch, 1960.
Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1970s.
Romano Hotel on Seaview Avenue in North End, 1970s. Joseph Romano, a native of Italy, owned the 50-room hotel for over 40 years. In 1958, he spent $10,000 to build his own stone seawall to protect his property against storms and rising tides.
West’s Market on Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1980s. Founded by Edgar A. West in 1919, “West’s for Best” was known for its quality meat and groceries. He died in 1979 and his son Edgar H. operated the business until 1984.
Casino Beach and Pool of North Long Branch, 1950s. Later to become White Sands.
White Sands Bathing Club in North End, 1952.
White Sands Bathing Club in ruins after March 1962 Nor’easter. Monmouth County later took control of the property and Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park opened in May 1977.
White Sands Bathing Club ad. APP, 1961.
White Sands in North End storm wreckage, March 1962.
White Sands Bathing Club. APP ad, May 1962.
The old White Sands goes up in flames for good and all, May 1978.
White Sands Bathing Club ad, 1965. Charles Savoth build the club; his son George later managed it. The city acquired the property in 1974 for $750,000. It was the North End Beach Club when destroyed by two separate fires over two days in May 1978.
Promotion flyer for a “private beach club” in North End. (CJ Rubin Submitted). Built at a cost of $470,000, the Villa Beach Club at North Long Branch opened in July 1931. The club lasted only one summer and was sold at sheriff’s auction for $37,000 in November 1931. The land had been known as the “McConville estate.” It was near the Avenel bathing pavilion, which dates to 1913.
Mir-a-Mar Beach Club in North Long Branch. APP ad, June 1932. It had been the Villa Beach Club. The Mir-a-Mar opened that summer with a new pool. In June 1943, the spot became the USO beach for the exclusive use of military service personal, family and friends.
Beachcomber Club at the end of Atlantic Avenue In North End, 1950s. Owned by Dr. James Tsigonis.
Leteendezvous Surf & Swim Club, 1967. Formerly the Beachcomber Club, the North End facility was changed into a swimming and surfing club — for teenagers only. J. Kelsey Burr was in charge.
North Long Branch train station, 1905. Built in the 1890s to accommodate the Long Branch & Seashore Railroad. All trains stopped in 1946.
Station Master Daniel Hennessey (in front) at the North Long Branch Train Station, 1905.
Oliver Byron house on the MB-LB border, 1905.
Evangeline-by-the-Sea hotel in North End, 1930s. It was run by the Salvation Army.
Old MB-LB border on Ocean Ave./Route 36, 1966.
Storm tide remains near the North End Motel and Chi-Chi’s Red Barn, 1960s.
North End abandoned train station, 1970s.
North Long Branch house, 1970s. Does Pop Franks sound familiar to anyone? How about the USO Beach in North Long Branch?
Monmouth Beach-North Long Branch borderline, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo). The MB house to the left was the scene of an infamous Howard Stern TV-show party in 1991. Sam Wier built the house in 1980 using wood from the old White Sand Beach Club.
North End houses at the end of Atlantic Avenue, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
North End beach house near MB-LB boarder, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1980s.
End of Atlantic Avenue after bad storm, March 1962 (Dan Hennessey Photo).
At the end of Atlantic Avenue on the beach. Can anyone ID this? One suggestion was Hennessey’s Fishery. It was owned by Captain John L. Hennessey who started the business in 1880. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
EAI building on Long Branch Avenue, 1970. Electronic Associates, Inc. operated here since 1956.
Manahassett Creek Park, 2019.
Manahassett Creek Park, 2019.
More Long Branch images …
Sunset Beach and Pool, 1930s.
Crammer’s Bathing Pavilion at Ocean and Chelsea Avenues, 1909.
Inkwell, 1973. The original West End coffeehouse was on the corner of Brighton & Second Avenues.
Steamer ship Long Branch, late 1800s.
Turn of the century bathing scene in LB.
Dorothy Parker birthplace marker in West End, 2005. The celebrated writer, citric, wit and founding member of the Algonquin Round Table, was born in Long Branch in 1893. She died in NYC in 1967.
Typical Central Jersey train that ran from Sandy Hook to Long Branch, 1930s.
Pleasure Bay Bridge connecting Long Branch and Oceanport under construction. The new fixed bridge cost $1.3 million and opened in Sept. 1965. The original was a swing bridge built in 1885.
Beached Finback whale in LB. APP, 1958.
Greyhound racing at Ocean Park in LB, 1934.
West End train station, early 1900s.
Atlanticville logo. The weekly newspaper was launched in 1976 by Michael Booth.
Nice shore view from Elberon, 1883.
Adonis shipwreck off LB, March 1859.
President Ulysses S. Grant’s cottage about to be razed, 1963. Built in 1886, the beachfront mansion was a gift to the new president who grew to love Long Branch.
The “Grant Cottage” in Long Branch, 1867. The house was a gift from George Childs, a rich Philadelphia newspaper man, who owned a nearby cottage. At the time, the President-General was the most famous man in the country. Grant summered here every year from 1869 to 1885.
President James Garfield statue watches over the LB promenade, 2019.
U.S. Life-Saving Station #5 at Long Branch, 1905. Built in the 1890s, it later became the Takanassee beach club.
The massive West End Cottages, 1910. Built in 1880 on the southeast corner of Ocean and Brighton Avenues.
St. Paul steamship wreck off LB, 1886.
Helmbold Cottage, 1875.
LB oceanfront cottage, 1880.
Episcopal Church, late 1800s.
Pach Brothers Photo Studio, 1867.
Westwood and Third Avenues, 1931.
NJ Governors: Foster Voorhees (1889-1902), John Fort (1908-11) and Edward Stokes (1905-08) vacationing at LB, 1905.
President Garfield’s last looks at the sea from his LB cottage, Harper’s Weekly, Sept. 1881.
The bluffs and beaches at LB, 1875
On the beach in LB, 1905.
The Hotels of Long Branch …
Here’s a photo-essay on the grand (and not so grand) hotels that have called Long Branch home through the years. I’m fascinated by these great old seashore palaces that marked our shoreline. At the peak of the Long Branch resort craze, a visitor could get a room including four large meals for $4 per day at the best hotels.
The city’s natural bluff along the oceanfront provided a spectacular setting for these massive wooden hotels. It’s the sheer size of some of the places I can’t get over. Have a look …
Hotels along Long Branch coast, Harper’s Weekly, August 1873.
Long Branch hotels along the coast, 1873.
“On the Bluff at Long Branch” by Winslow Homer, 1870
Howland’s Hotel, 1868. Obadith Sairs built the original structure in 1827. Henry Howland took over in 1846, expanded the operation to 350 rooms, and ran it until 1876 when Richard Dobbins acquired the property.
Howland Hotel, 1905. Considered to be the oldest of the big hotels to operate along the ocean, some original parts of the structure dated to 1809.
Howland Hotel, 1920s. A bad winter storm did major damage to the hotel in 1902 and it was torn down shortly thereafter.
Stetson House, 1868. The hotel was built by Cornelius Lane in 1832.
Stetson House. It was the first NJ hotel to have elevator and telegraph service.
Stetson House hotel, 1880s. Charles A. Stetson, Jr. was the proprietor. Later is became the West End hotel.
West End Hotel, 1902. Burned in 1906.
West End Hotel, 1882.
West End Hotel, 1905.
Metropolitan Hotel, late 1880s. Built by Sam and Joe Cooper in 1854. Dr. Arthur Conover took full ownership in 1874; the hotel burned down in April 1876.
Metropolitan Hotel. The 12-acre resort was at Cooper and Ocean Avenues. The hotel could accommodate up to 600 guests. Rates were $25 per week.
Mansion House on Ocean Avenue (it’s now Pier Village). Built by Jacob Morris and opened in July 1846, it had several owners and renovations. A 1884 fire badly damaged the hotel and it was finally torn down to make way for a new pier in 1910.
Mansion House sketch, 1863. The seaside hotel was considered the finest of its day. First Lady Mary Lincoln and her sons stayed here in August 1861. On the flip-side: according to another legend, John Wilkes Booth was a regular guest here and planned the Lincoln assassination at this hotel.
Mansion House hotel, 1870s.
Mansion House hotel location marker, 2011. Mrs. Lincoln so enjoyed her time at Long Branch she recommended it to the Grants.
Mansion House hotel, 1868.
Mansion House dining room, 1865. Samuel Laird took control of the hotel in 1852.
Ocean House hotel on Ocean Avenue, 1900. In Sept. 1902, owner Samuel Prosky skipped out on his debts and the hotel never reopened.
Leland’s Ocean House hotel dinning hall, 1872.
Ocean Hotel highlights a busy Lower Broadway, Wolverton Atlas 1889.
Ocean Hotel on a tax map, 1875.
Where Are These Long Branch Hotels?
While researching the history of Long Branch hotels, I found reference to several for which I could not locate images. These include: the Monmouth House, Bennett’s Hotel, Keller Hotel, Pavilion Hotel, Pleasure Bay House, Green’s Hotel, Bath Hotel, Conover House, Grand Excursion Hotel, Manhattan Hotel, Senate Hotel, Abbotsford Hotel, and Imperial Hotel. If anyone does know, please contact me HERE.
Clarendon Hotel, 1880s. The original structure was built by Richard Wardell in the early 1800s. Hugh Manahan took control and expanded in 1835; he sold to Enoch Hendriskson in 1858.
Clarendon Hotel on the ocean, 1868.
United States Hotel sketch, 1858.
United States Hotel, 1875. Built in 1852 by Kennedy & Crater. The 300-room, 13-acre resort was another run by Samuel Laid.
United States Hotel, 1875. Torn down in 1905.
United States Hotel on the Bluffs, early 1900s.
Elberon Hotel, 1900. Built by Lewis B. Brown in 1866; it burned in 1914 when owned by former US Senator James Smith, Jr. (D-NJ).
Elberon Hotel (l) and the Franklyn Cottage (where President Garfield died), early 1900s.
New York Hotel. Built in 1867 by Isaac Cooper along Branchport Creek. By 1873 the hotel was called the River Side House.
Takanassee Hotel. The 150-room hotel was on the corner of Ocean and Brighton Avenue.
Takanassee Hotel, 1908. Built on the site of the old West End Hotel.
Takanassee Hotel, 1920s. Built in 1906 at a cost of $300,000.
Takanassee Hotel, 1920s. Torn down in the 1930s.
Brighton Hotel, early 1900s.
Brighton Hotel, 1905. Torn down in the early 1960s.
Brighton Hotel, 1910. Later it was called the Bel Aire Hotel.
National House, 1855. Constructed in 1827, it would become the Continental Hotel.
Continental Hotel, 1867. Torn down in 1904.
Continental Hotel, 1868.
Continental Hotel, 1867. The largest hotel in the country in its day, the main section was built by C.C. Sprague & H.A. Stokes in 1866.
Asbury Park Press, July 1951. The dining room at 200 x 75 was considered the largest in the country.
Central Hotel on Third Avenue. Built in the 1870s, it later became the beginnings of Monmouth Medical Center.
Scarboro Hotel. The first of two was built in 1882.
Hotel Scarboro, 1934. In 1916, the hotel was acquired by Louis and Beck Shapiro and reconfigured.
Scarboro Hotel, 1935. It was located at Ocean and Bath Avenues.
Scarboro Hotel. When it burned down in Sept. 1941, it was the last of the grand LB hotels.
Norman Mailer – Scarboro Hotel plaque dedication , 2017.
Hotel Pannaci. Built in 1868, it was originally Iauch’s Hotel.
Hotel Pannaci, 1906.
Hotel Pannaci, 1924.
Hollywood Hotel, 1905.
Hollywood Hotel, 1907.
Hollywood Hotel, 1905.
Hollywood Hotel. Built by John Hoey in 1882.
Hollywood Hotel, 1946.
Hollywood Hotel on Cedar Avenue, burned in a March 1961 fire.
Florence Hotel on North Broadway. Built in 1879 by Richard Dobbins, it later became the Star Hotel and closed in the 1930s. Annie Oakley was a frequent guest here.
Lenox Hotel, 1903. Located on the corner of Ocean Avenue and Broadway. In August 1916, Bryan Kennelly sold it to John Wilson for $10,500.
Manahassett Hotel, 1905.
Hotel Phelando at Chelsea and Ocean Avenues, 1911. Constructed in the 1880s, the 120-room hotel was torn down in 1936.
Hotel Phelando, 1912.
Tory’s Hotel and Restaurant, early 1900s.
Hotel Ocean Plaza, 1914.
Newing’s Hotel on Broadway, 1909.
Atlantic Hotel, 1911. Built in 1861 by Aaron Christaler.
Atlantic Hotel, 1921. Located on the corner of Ocean and Morris Avenues, it was destroyed by an August 1925 fire.
New Atlantic Hotel, 1910. Rebuilt in 1926.
Taft Hotel on Cooper and Grant Avenues, 1910. It burned down in Sept. 1945.
L. Rothenberg’s Hotel on Ocean Avenue. Built in 1910, burned in the 1930s.
Hotel Milborne on Bath Avenue, 1920s. The hotel burned in 1938.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1924. Built before the turn of the century, the hotel at Ocean and Avery Avenues was badly damaged by fire in 1962.
Bridgewater Inn at Pleasure Bay Park, 1905.
Wardell’s Hotel in Pleasure Bay, 1923.
Garfield Grant Hotel on Broadway, 1958.
Garfield Grant Hotel, 1960.
Landmark Hotel at Five Corners, 1970s.
Fountains of Long Branch Motel, 1960s.
Stef’s Court Motel, 1980s. On the corner of Ocean and Morris Avenues.
Ocean Court Motel, 2000s.
Hilton Hotel on the boardwalk, 1994.
Ocean Place Spa & Resort, 2019.
Wave Resort & Hotel on the boardwalk, 2019. The 6-story, 67-room beauty was built by Jared Kushner’s company. A room at the boutique, oceanfront hotel in the heart of Pier Village starts at $545.
Pennsylvania Club, 1905.
New York Club, 1905.
Johnson Club House, 1905.
Phil Daly’s Club House, 1905.
West End Shore Club, 1910.
Club San Remo on Ocean Avenue, 1930s.
Club San Remo on Ocean Avenue, 1950s.
More Long Branch images …
Cats Meow ad, 1975. In 1985 the location became Casa Comida Mexican Restaurant on Branchport Avenue run by Paul and Kris Catlett. The itself structure dates to the 1860s.
“Aladdin’s Castle” built in 1881 for C.K. Garrison. The Elberon house burned in the 1940s.
Colony Surf Club, 1938.
Beach scene at Long Branch, late 1800s.
Bridge over Lake Takanassee, 1908. The body of water used to called Green’s Pond.
Waiting for the train in LB, 1910s.
West End Casino, 1930s.
Statue of President James Garfield on the promenade … with an ocean view, 2000.
The Elberon Memorial Church on Park Avenue, 1949. Construction was paid for by Catherine Taylor. It was dedicated in 1886.
Italian villa on Ocean Avenue in Elberon, 1918.
Long Branch is in there somewhere.
Patten Point, Long Branch. and Monmouth Beach in background, 2019.
A pound boat comes ashore in LB, early 1900s.
APP ad, 1942.
Seaside Chapel on Chelsea Avenue, dedicated July 1867. The church was struct by lightning and burned down in 1886.
The Mirimar on Ocean Avenue, 1863.
Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church on Broadway. President Grant was at the dedication in 1880. It burned in 1894 and was rebuilt as St. Luke’s.
Long Branch map, 1879.
President U.S. Grant with his family in the surf, August 1869.
“The Drive” — Ocean Avenue, 1872.
Steamership Rusland beached off LB, 1877.
Steamership Amerique beached off LB, 1877.
Harbor Island Spa, 1957.
Pleasure Bay Park, 1908.
Ocean Park casino, 1906.
Myron H. Oppenheim Home in Elberon, 1906.
“He prints puff!” — New York Daily News, July 1992.
Hazard Hospital. APP, April 1954.
Monmouth Memorial Hospital, 1940s.
Old Long Branch Daily Record building on Broadway, 2010s.
LB aerial image, 2019.
LB train station, 1910s.
Elberon Train Station, 1913.
Paramount Theater on Broadway, 1930s.
LB police force, 1895.
Ocean Avenue, 1930s.
Broadway looking east, 1940s.
Independent Fire Engine & Truck Company #2 on Third Avenue, 1940s.
LB City Hall, 1930s. Opened in 1891; torn down in 1976.
LB boardwalk storm damage, 1944.
LB boardwalk storm damage, 1944.
U.S. Life-Saving Station at LB, 1878.
“Famous Bluffs of Long Branch,” 1868.
Patten Steamboat Line schedule, 1902.
Patten Steamboat Line schedule, 1902.
Patten Line Steamboat: SS Thomas Patten, early 1900s.
Patten Line Steamboat: SS Pleasure Bay, early 1900s.
Harper’s Weekly cartoon depicting President Grant in Long Branch, 1873.
New-York Tribune cartoon on President Grant and Long Branch, 1870s.
Stella Maris retreat on Ocean Avenue, 2017.
Old Oceanview Bakery on Morris Avenue, 2019.
Tuzzio’s Italian Cuisine on Westwood Avenue, 2019. The Tuzzio family bought the Silver Dollar Bar in 1965 and (now led by Joe Tuzzio) have been running the popular local eatery ever since.
More Long Branch images …
Sketch of the house of Arthur H. Hearn, a replica of William Shakespeare’s birth home at Stratford-on-the-Avon, built at the corner of Second and South Bath Avenues in 1890. It burned in 1920.
President James Garfield’s final moments in Long Branch, Sept. 1881.
“On the Bluff at Long Branch” by Hinslow Homer, 1870.
NJ Gov. Jim Florio meets Atlanticville newspaper columnist Charlie Booth in West End, early 1990s.
Where President James Garfield died in Sept. 1881. Burned down in 1926.
Pleasure Bay Park on Atlantic Avenue, 1905. The park had a trolley line, boat dock, floating theater for concerts and shows, amusement rides and picnic facilities. The area was once owned by George M. Harvey, a former US Ambassador to Great Britain.
Dudley Arms apartments on Broadway, 2018.
Asbury Park Press, November 1968.
Sea Verge Apartments on Ocean Blvd, 2018. The seven-story oceanfront high-rise opened in 1964. Construction cost was $2 million.
Long Branch coast looking north, 2016.
Long Branch coast looking south, 2010s.
Long Branch Ice Boat & Yacht Club, 2018. Organized in 1901.
Patten Point section of LB, 2019.
Asbury Park Press, May 1960.
Long Branch map, 1873.
“The Gambling Evil at Long Branch,” according to Harper’s Magazine, 1889.
Shipwreck of the “Hannah” from Norway, 1879.
Monmouth Medical Center, 1950s.
Monmouth Medical Center, 1960s. Healthcare origins in the area date to 1887.
Monmouth Medical Center, 1966. It all began as the Central Hotel on Third Avenue built in the 1870s. Beginning in 1889 with several additions and changes it became the Monmouth Memorial Hospital and later Monmouth Medical Center.
Colony Surf Club, 1935. Opened in 1930, the Ocean Avenue beach club burned down in October 1948.
Long Branch Post Office on Third Avenue, 1920s. Opened in 1914, the building was named the “Pat King Postal Building” in 2002, in honor of the city police sergeant killed in the line of duty in 1997.
Long Branch City Hall, 1920s. Built in 1891 at a cost of $19,700 by David Henry of Patterson, NJ.
Long Branch Poultry Farm on Branchport Avenue, 1960s. The city “chicken farm” was started by German immigrants Hermann and Anne Reimann in 1940.
Courtroom in Garfield-Grant building, 1985.
Grand Opening of Freddie’s Restaurant & Pizzeria on Broadway, 1944. Closed in 2019.
LB Mayor Adam Schneider (r) endorses NJ Gov. Chris Christie for re-election, 2013. Christie won Monmouth County with 70% of the vote.
Paramount Theatre on Broadway, 1943. Built by Walter Reade and opened in 1912 and reconstructed in 1931; it closed in 1959. Used for years as storage by Siperstein’s Paints, it was torn down in 2017.
Interior of Paramount Theatre on Broadway, 1931
Citizens protest burlesque shows at Paramount Theatre, 1953.
U.S. President James A. Garfield statue by the sea. Erected on Ocean Avenue in 1918 near his Elberon home, it was moved to Garfield Park in 1959 and again to its current location by the Ocean Place Hotel.
Steinbach’s Department Store on Broadway fire, 1905.
West End cottages, early 1900s.
Asbury Park Press, May 1948.
Henry R. Cioffi hugs his wife Jean upon being elected mayor of Long Branch, 1970. Known as “Skip,” he was elected to three mayoral terms serving until 1982. He was also a former city councilman, US Marine, and Ivy League finance graduate. He died in 2020.
Promenade Beach Club pool area, 2019.
Family fun at the shore, early 1900s.
Bull Pen restaurant on Montgomery Avenue, 1970.
Cheers Food & Drink on Broadway, 1980s.
Cammarano’s Bar on Broadway, 1950s.
Asbury Park Press, January 1951. Robert Tisch was an owner of the New York Giants.
Asbury Park Press, October 1948.
Asbury Park Press, 1954.
Asbury Park Press, July 1958.
Asbury Park Press, January 1952.
Asbury Park Press, May 1959.
LB City Hall on Broadway, 1909.
H. Victor Newcomb house on Ocean Avenue, 1890.
Long Branch Inn at Third and Morris Avenues, 1963. It later become Casey Jones Restaurant with real Conrail boxcars and a caboose added in 1978.
Casey Jones Restaurant, 1980s. Opened in 1973, brother-owners Marvin and Ed Moses sold the once very bushiness in 2003 and after a failed diner effort at the location the building was torn down in 2019.
Lower Broadway buildings before demolition, 2015.
Charlie (r) and Joe Ilvento (l) at their West End Manor, 1981. The family restaurant opened on Ocean Avenue in 1949. The business was sold in 1987.
Ilvento’s West End Manor restaurant, 1987.
Sirianni’s Friendly Café family, 1988. Sam Sirianni started the Northern Italian restaurant on Brighton Avenue in 1938. He son Anthony “Tut” Sirianni and his sons ran the West End business through the 1980s.
Siegel Cottage, 1914.
Pier Village, 2019.
“On the Beach at Long Branch, NJ” painting by Winslow Homer, 1867.
Scriven & Dilentash’s “New York Store” on Broadway, 1868.
Dunbarton House, 1868.
Gustavus Pach Photograph Gallery, 1867.
Original U.S. Life-Saving Station at LB, late 1868. (Gustavas Pach Photo)
Long Branch “rich map,” 1886.
First Baptist Church on Bath Avenue, 1913.
Broadway, early 1900s.
Neptune Hose Company, No. 1, early 1900s.
U.S. Life-Saving Station at LB, early 1908.
Myron Oppenheim house, early 1900s. He also once owned Shadow Lawn later Monmouth University.
Broadway and Third Avenue, 1912.
Steam boat on Pleasure Bay, 1906.
Chelsea Avenue, 1917.
President U.S. Grant Cottage, early 1900s.
Washington Street, 1917.
Monmouth Memorial Hospital and Nurses Home, 1906.
Acerra brothers baseball team, 1940s. A semi-pro baseball team of 12 Long Branch brothers coached by their father, Louis “Pop” Acerra. They played from 1938-52 and won the Long Branch City League Championship 10 years in a row.
Actor Oliver Byron. A Long Branch home owner seen here in 1842.
“The Bluffs” at Long Branch by Winslow Homer, 1869.
Pier Village aerial image, 2010s.
Edwin Booth cottage, late 1800s.
President U.S. Grant cottage, 1963.
Inkwell Coffeehouse in West End, 2010s.
Windmill of West End, 1970s.
Lower Broadway, 1905.
St Luke’s United Methodist Church on Broadway, 1940s.
Phil Daly cottages, early 1900s.
Stella Maris Retreat House, 1980s.
Old City Hall, 1930s.
Story about the Tarantolo family and their restaurant on lower Boardway, APP, April 1976.
Oceanfront cottage, 1875.
Map over LB area, 1770s.
NJ railroad system around LB, 1887.
NJ Central Railroad system around LB, 1941.
Oceanfront cottage, 1940s.
U.S. Life-Saving Station at Long Branch, 1878.
Carvel in West End, 1950s.
Johnny Brockriede, 1960s. “One of Long Branch’s finest supporters.”
Chandler & Maps on Lower Broadway, 1970s.
O’Conner’s Diner on Broadway, 1930s.
Long Branch Saloon on Lower Broadway, 1970s.
North side of Lower Broadway , 1948.
Uptown Broadway near Bath and Norwood Avenues, 1920s.
McFaddin Motors ad, 1930s.
Off-Broadway Bar, 1990s.
Old Phil Daly cottages on Second and Chelsea Avenues, 1930s.
Pleasure Bay Apartments, 1966.
Old Caputo’s Bakery on Lower Broadway, 1970s.
West End beach, 1981.
Long Branch Public Library, 1940s.
Freddie’s Pizzeria sign comes down, October 2019. (Jack Flaherty Photo)
Older city residents still rave about the great baked items from this Broadway shop. APP ad, May 1931.
Patten Avenue bridge under construction, 2005.
The 7 U.S. Presidents to visit Long Branch.
Bruno’s Pharmacy on Lower Broadway, 1910s.
Conte’s Car Wash aerial image, 1960s.
Ocean Avenue opening, 1948.
Lower Broadway aerial image looking east, 1940s.
Long Branch News building, 1868.
Dr. William A. Conover house, 1868.
Postcard of Broadway, 1915.
Postcard of West End, 1960s.
Death of an American President in Long Branch, 1881.
Elberon Casino, 1885.
Beth Miriam Synagogue, 1942.
Diller house, 1905.
Elberon Train Station, 1913.
Blue Dolphin Pub ad, 1980s.
Old Shadow Lawn Bank, corner of Broadway and Norwood Avenue, 1960s.
Tideaway Manor bar on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
Club Spanky on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
Our Lady Star of the Sea Church, 2019.
Mayor Adam Schneider tosses a football while waiting for elections results (he won), 2002.
Dr. Elmer C. Hazard Memorial Hospital on Washington Street, 1958.
St. Michael’s Church on Ocean Avenue, 1986.
Long Branch beach aerial image on July 4, 2019.
Lake Takanassee and beach club aerial image, 1960s.
W.H. Woolley’s men’s-wear business: from left: Howard, Jr., Howard, Sr. and Bill Woolley, 1986. The family-owned business operated on Broadway from 1911 to 1990.
Long Branch-Monmouth Beach stage coach in West End, early 1900s.
LB Poultry Farm on Branchport Avenue, 1958.
City Hall on Broadway, 2018. Opened in 1977.
Greyhound races at LB stadium, 1950s.
Takanassee beach club aerial image, late 1990s.
Lower Broadway aerial image looking east, 2018.
Map of Long Branch area, 1765.
Mary Patten steamship, early 1900s.
Long Branch Carnival, 1900.
U.S. Grant cottage on Ocean Avenue being torn down, 1963.
Cranmer’s Baths, 1978.
Church of the Presidents, 1991.
Windmill on Ocean Blvd in West End, 1991.
Long Branch swimmers, 1900.
Under the Boardwalk in LB, 1978.
Long Branch Horse Show, 1913.
Long Branch postcard, 1976.
“On the Bluff at Long Branch” by Winslow Homer, 1870.
MIllionaire’s Row on Ocean Avenue, late 1800s.
President Garfield memorial monument in Elberon, 2005.
Stella Maris retreat house on Ocean Avenue, 2009.
Old U.S. Life-Saving Station in West End, 2009.
St. Michael’s Church, 2009.
Windmill in West End, 2009.
Long Branch beach scene, 1875.
Chelsea Pool, 1960s.
Long Branch postcard, 1944.
Airdrome Movie Theatre, 1917.
Takanassee Lake, 1910.
Conte’s Car Wash, 1960s.
Takanassee Bridge, early 1900s.
New Casino, 1907.
Ocean Avenue in West End, 1910.
Barron & Jarmon auto dealers on Broadway, 1940s.
Yvonne’s Rhapsody in Blue and Rendezvous Lounge, early 1970s.
San Alfonso Retreat House, early 1900s.
Old Elberon Train Station, 1904.
Neptune Hose Company No. 1, 1905
Park & Tilford store on Brighton Avenue, 1905.
Promenade Beach Club aerial image, 2010s.
Old City Hall on Broadway, 1905.
Brighton Avenue, early 1900s.
Monmouth Memorial Hospital, early 1900s.
Crammer’s Pavilion swimming pool, 1907.
“Shadow Lawn” in Elberon, 1912.
President Grant with family and staff at Long Branch, 1870s.
Bruce Springsteen in West End, 1970s.
Long Branch train station in West End, late 1900s.
Long Branch train station, late 1900s.
Long Branch Public Library, 1940s.
City of Long Branch Mayor & Council, 2019.
NJ Governor Franklin Murphy and staff in LB, 1905.
West End Casino, 1905.
Ocean Park at corner of Broadway and Ocean Avenue, 1905.
Steinbach’s Department Store on Broadway, 1905.
View from Brighton and Ocean Avenues, early 1900s.
Long Branch Stadium, 1950s.
Old Long Branch City Hall, 1940s.
Aladdin’s Palace in Elberon, early 1900s.
Church of the Presidents on Ocean Avenue, 2000s.
President James Garfield’s cottage, 1881.
Ocean Avenue in Elberon, late 1800s.
St. Michael’s Church in West End, early 1900s.
Vogel’s Department Store on Broadway, 1940s.