It was called “Fishtown” in Entertaining a Nation and marked as “Atlanticville” on an 1873 F.W. Beers map. I also recall many of the locals calling it “North End.” Right from the beginning it has been its own place.
The rough boundaries of North Long Branch are Monmouth Beach to the north, Joline Avenue to the south, the Atlantic Ocean to the east and Troutman’s Creek to the west.
Speaking as an outside observer, although I did live there for about 5 years, I look at it as a place that time forget. It’s also one of my favorite spots. There’s always been a laid-back, mellow feel to the community. Here’s a brief photo essay on this section of a great city.
Old North Long Branch train station, 1950s. Opened in 1907, the building was turned into an ice cream shop when the trains stopped. It was finally torn down in 1980 to make way for the new Ocean Blvd.
North LB train station, early 1900s.
North Long Branch School on Church Street, 1902.
North Long Branch School on Church Street, 1996.
North Long Branch School classroom, 1996.
City firefighters battle a blaze at the White Sands Beach Club, March 1978.
Oliver Byron Engine Co. No. 5 on Atlantic Avenue, 1911 (Todd Reilly Photo).
North Long Branch area, F.W. Beers Map 1873.
North Long Branch cottages along Ocean Avenue , 1910.
North Long Branch, 1908.
North Long Branch cottages, 1920.
On the beach in North End, 1920s.
North End beach gate, 2001.
North Long Branch beach, 2018.
Hanging out at North End, 1970s.
North End beach near MB border, 1980s.
North End beach looking south, 1980s.
North End beach looking into MB at dawn, 2018.
Thomas Booth tribute bench at Jackson Woods park, 2019. Beginning in 1973, Tom championed the cause to protect the 11-acre tract in North End. In 1995, the city used $1.2 million in state Green Acres funds to reacquire the property from a condo developer. Charles T. Jackson, a farmer, owned a lot of property in the area at turn of the century.
Sand replenishment near LB-MB border, 1995 (Jack Flaherty Photo).
Asbury United Methodist Church on Atlantic Avenue in North End. The steeple was removed in 1945.
Asbury United Methodist Church, 1960s. Called: “The Friendly Church by the Sea.”
Asbury United Methodist Church, 2020. Designed and built by Charles Bolton in 1894.
Oliver Byron Engine Company on Atlantic Avenue. Named after and financed by the famous actor and opened in 1891.
Oliver Byron Engine Company, 1905.
Johnny’s Luncheonette on Atlantic Avenue, 1960s. John Warren started the business in the 1950s. A Korean War II US Army vet, LB city fireman, and clerk for the Monmouth Beach Post Office, John died in 1998.
Johnny’s Luncheonette on Atlantic Avenue, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo). The shop was moved here in 1981. Edwin A. Nilson, Sr. owned it for 20 years beginning in 1970. Born in Brooklyn, Ed was a LBHS football player, World War II US Navy vet, LB fire chief, and milkman. Ed died in 1990.
Johnny’s Luncheonette on Atlantic Avenue to the left, 1970s. The slogan: “Even the crumbs taste good.” Winifred Stevens was a waitress at Johnny’s and the renamed North Beach Grill for over 40 years.
The remains of east Atlantic Avenue, 2010. The building on the left housed barbers for years like Errico’s.
Bits & Pieces on Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1970s. Mike Booth ran the store.
Peddler Bicycle Shop on Ocean Blvd, APP 2001. Anthony “Ducky” Schiavo started the business in 1970. A true biking pioneer, he was the first in the area to sell 10-speed bikes. A former MB School teacher, he died in 2001 at age 57.
Original Peddler Bike Shop building on old Ocean Avenue, 1970s.
Diamond’s Pharmacy on Atlantic Avenue. The business was started by Joseph Diamond. Sal Trocchia was the able pharmacist-owner from 1963-1985. The drug store still operates in Ursula Plaza run by Stuart Eisenberg.
Chi Chi’s Red Barn on Avenel Blvd., 1980s. Later to become Charley’s Ocean Grill. According to legend it had other names: Chappie’s and Muldoon’s.
Charley’s Ocean Grill ad. APP, April 1985.
New Ocean Blvd under construction, early 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo). It was Mayor J. William Jones back in 1948 who first proposed to build a super boulevard north-south along the city oceanfront.
New Ocean Avenue under construction looking north in MB, 1980s.
North Long Branch, late 1970s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
Atlantic Surf Shop on Atlantic Avenue, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
Islanders Sun, Surf & Sports Shop, 1970s. Near the MB-LB boarder on Ocean Avenue.
Vinnie Troniec at his Islanders Surf Shop on Ocean Avenue, APP 1982. His store was one of the last to go to make way for the new 1.7-mile, $15 million Ocean Blvd-Route 36 four-lane road project. Ultimately evicted by the state, he claimed $100,000 in annual earnings at the location.
Mocean’s Surf Shop on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
Beach Plum restaurant on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
Vinnie’s Hot Dogs on old Ocean Avenue, 1980s.
North End Motel postcard. The 14-unit efficiency apartment complex on Ocean Avenue and Avenel Blvd opened in June 1962. The builder was Ernest Caprio, Jr.; construction cost was $90,000. The motel was torn down in November 1988 to make way for the Beachcomber Towers.
Ursula Plaza on Ocean Blvd, 2010s. The 33,000-square-foot mini-mall was built by Patock Construction in 1988. Jack Caputo owned the land and named the spot after his wife. The family bakery/pastry shop is in the mall; it started on Lower Broadway in 1960.
Lido Hotel in North End, 1964. Built in 1924, the 32-room hotel was located on the bend of Seaview Avenue and old Ocean Avenue.
Dueling Gaskin’s Seafood Markets in North End, 1960s. The business was begun by Conover Gaskin, Sr.
George Gaskin’s Fish Market, early 1970s.
George Gaskin’s Fish Market, 1970s.
Gaskins Fish Market & Restaurant on New Ocean Avenue, 1979. George and Helen Gaskin were the owners.
Gaskin’s Fish Market, 1986.
Gaskin’s Fish Market, early 1990s.
Windmill building, 2010s.
Windmill building demolition, 2019.
Old Strollo’s Lighthouse, 2000.
New Strollo’s Lighthouse at night, 2019. Jimmy Callano is the owner.
NJ National Guard Armory on old Ocean Avenue 1980s. Built in 1959 for $320,000.
Esso Service Station in North Long Branch, early 1960s.
North Long Branch aerial image, 1951. In the center is the Presley Garage. William Presley also owned the Galilee Fishery in Monmouth Beach. A North End native, he died in 1965 at age 84.
North Long Branch aerial image, 2018.
North Long Branch School on Church Street. Opened in 1891; closed in 1979. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
North Long Branch School on Church Street, 2013. After sitting dormant for 40 years it’s being converted into high-end condos.
Atlantic Hotel, 1860s. Now Seven President’s Park.
East End Hotel in North End. Built by Jay Gould and Jim Fisk, it opened in June 1873. Sometimes the place was called the Excursion House. A pier and train depot were also built nearby. The area is now Seven President’s Oceanfront Park.
Arlington House, late 1800s. Area now Seven President’s Park.
“The Reservation” project in North Long Branch built by Nate Salisbury, early 1900s.
The Reservation property, early 1970s. The area is now Seven President’s Park.
The Reservation History — HERE
Reservation house in North End, 1972. Called “Cheyenne” — the Foran family lived there.
Reservation house in North End, 1972. Called “Okaliska” — Dr. Sheehan and family lived there.
Reservation house in North End, 1972. Called “Arapahoe” — the Langhorne family lived there.
Dr. George A. Sheehan, Sr. house at The Reservation, 1970s. The Sheehan family owned the North End house from 1927 to 1953.
The only remaining Reservation house “Navaho,” 1970s. Now Seven Presidents Park headquarters.
“Navaho” — Seven Presidents Park headquarters in North End, 2013. The county park opened in May 1977
Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1908.
Atlantic Avenue in North End looking east, 1923.
Atlantic Avenue in North Long Branch, 1960.
Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1970s.
Romano Hotel on Seaview Avenue in North End, 1970s. Joseph Romano, a native of Italy, owned the 50-room hotel for over 40 years. In 1958, he spent $10,000 to build his own stone seawall to protect his property against storms and rising tides.
West’s Market on Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1980s. Founded by Edgar A. West in 1919, “West’s for Best” was known for its quality meat and groceries. He died in 1979 and his son Edgar H. operated the business until 1984.
Casino Beach and Pool of North Long Branch, 1950s. Later to become White Sands.
White Sands Bathing Club in North End, 1952.
White Sands Bathing Club in ruins after March 1962 Nor’easter. Monmouth County later took control of the property and Seven Presidents Oceanfront Park opened in May 1977.
White Sands Bathing Club ad. APP, 1961.
White Sands in North End storm wreckage, March 1962.
White Sands Bathing Club. APP ad, May 1962.
The old White Sands goes up in flames for good and all, May 1978.
White Sands Bathing Club ad, 1965. Charles Savoth build the club; his son George later managed it. The city acquired the property in 1974 for $750,000. It was the North End Beach Club when destroyed by two separate fires over two days in May 1978.
Promotion flyer for a “private beach club” in North End. (CJ Rubin Submitted). Built at a cost of $470,000, the Villa Beach Club at North Long Branch opened in July 1931. The club lasted only one summer and was sold at sheriff’s auction for $37,000 in November 1931. The land had been known as the “McConville estate.” It was near the Avenel bathing pavilion, which dates to 1913.
Mir-a-Mar Beach Club in North Long Branch. APP ad, June 1932. It had been the Villa Beach Club. The Mir-a-Mar opened that summer with a new pool. In June 1943, the spot became the USO beach for the exclusive use of military service personal, family and friends.
Beachcomber Club at the end of Atlantic Avenue In North End, 1950s. Owned by Dr. James Tsigonis.
Leteendezvous Surf & Swim Club, 1967. Formerly the Beachcomber Club, the North End facility was changed into a swimming and surfing club — for teenagers only. J. Kelsey Burr was in charge.
Oliver Byron house on the MB-LB border, 1905.
Evangeline-by-the-Sea hotel in North End, 1930s. It was run by the Salvation Army.
Old MB-LB border on Ocean Ave./Route 36, 1966.
Storm tide remains near the North End Motel and Chi-Chi’s Red Barn, 1960s.
North End abandoned train station, 1970s.
North Long Branch house, 1970s. Does Pop Franks sound familiar to anyone? How about the USO Beach in North Long Branch?
Monmouth Beach-North Long Branch borderline, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo). The MB house to the left was the scene of an infamous Howard Stern TV-show party in 1991. Sam Wier built the house in 1980 using wood from the old White Sand Beach Club.
North End houses at the end of Atlantic Avenue, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
North End beach house near MB-LB boarder, 1980s. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
Atlantic Avenue in North End, 1980s.
End of Atlantic Avenue after bad storm, March 1962 (Dan Hennessey Photo).
At the end of Atlantic Avenue on the beach. Can anyone ID this? One suggestion was Hennessey’s Fishery. It was owned by Captain John L. Hennessey who started the business in 1880. (Dan Hennessey Photo).
EAI building on Long Branch Avenue, 1970. Electronic Associates, Inc. operated here since 1956.
Manahassett Creek Park, 2019.
Manahassett Creek Park, 2019.