Welcome to Monmouth Beach Life.com
I am a writer covering the Monmouth Beach area for over 35 years. This website is my new e-connection with all those who love and care about our exceptional shore community. I’ll also be posting things on our close neighbors — Sea Bright and Long Branch — because to get to Monmouth Beach, you must go thorough those places.
As a professional journalist my first instinct is to share interesting information. This has allowed me to gain knowledge about the area. And the wisdom that what I don’t know, I’m good at asking about. With that, I pledge to offer a reasonable and independent view of the area. I hope you’ll take some time to read the web posts, look at images, visit often, and comment if the spirit moves you.
“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
—George Bernard Shaw
With plenty of nostalgia in my heart, I’ll try to capture a glimpse of our remarkable Jersey Shore community. I was born here and lived here for some 60 years (I’m an expatriate in Sea Bright now), so I can appreciate and understand the rich and meaningful experience that is Monmouth Beach and its shore neighbors. Life here is enjoyable.
Things have always been good around Monmouth Beach — a shore settlement dating backing to the 17th century. All the while it’s maintained a superb combination of extraordinary locale, thoughtful traditions and exceptional people. I’m blessed to have it be my “home town.” And I know so many others who feel that way too — where ever they may be today.
Through my digital commentary, I seek to recognize the locals who had the courage to build and grow things — even when so few know about it today. These are things deserving of recognition and perhaps a little honor. Finally, with so much negativity and inaccuracy on social media and the Internet in general, I’ve sought to build a website that is positive and educational.
* * * * *
My favorite quotes about Monmouth Beach:
• “Monmouth Beach isn’t just a place; it’s a state of mind.”
—Sidney B. Johnson
• “Monmouth Beach values endure.”
—James J. Maguire
• “Monmouth Beach is an aristocratic colony of aristocratic cottages inhabited by aristocratic people.”
—New York Times, 1878
• “Monmouth Beach is distinguished for quiet elegance rather than for the excitement of fashionable hotel life.”
—Gustav Kobbe, New Jersey Coast & Pines, 1891
• “Nowhere along the Atlantic Coast is “exclusiveness” in its broadest sense enjoyed as it is at Monmouth Beach.”
—New-York Tribune, June 1899
• “Monmouth Beach grows but it does not change its characteristics. It gets only more beautiful as time goes by.”
—Brooklyn Daily Eagle, August 1899.
• “Monmouth Beach is popular with the wealthy.”
—The Suburbanite magazine, June 1904.
• “During the summer months especially, Monmouth Beach comes into the spotlight as a rendezvous of the smart set.”
—Asbury Park Press town promotional ad, December 1939.
• “The rich summer residents and the Scandinavian fishermen are both gone, but the memory lingers on as the sand, sun and surf offer the same attraction to those who have settled permanently in Monmouth Beach.”
—Asbury Park Press, June 1962
• “If Eliakim Wardell could see his farm today, he would be astounded by the change but would also realize the spirit of neighborliness that he left behind is still there.”
—Rosemary O’Brien, Monmouth Beach: A Bicentennial Publication, 1975
• “It’s an American community at its best.”
—Bob Collister, New York Times reporter, July 1976
• “A Jersey Shore insider secret.”
—Reader’s Digest, 2017
• “One of Monmouth County’s most luxurious and desirable year-round beach communities.”