Sea Bright Railroad Images …
Photos of Sea Bright Train System …
Also, how a SB train almost killed a jet age pioneer.
The first railroad station in Sea Bright was built in 1871 and then replaced with another in 1900, according to Benjamin Bernhart’s 2004 book, Historic Journeys By Rail: Central Railroad of New Jersey Stations, Structures, & Marine Equipment.
Trains and Sea Bright had a serious connection during the town’s resort glory days. For an idea of the summer time rail volume, in August 1889, 84 trains were running between Atlantic Highlands and Sea Bright every day. Still, the building and tracks were frequently under assault by storms and high tides through the years.
When the trains stopped rolling in SB in 1945, the station fell into serious decay (the SB American Legion used it as a clubhouse for a bit). It was removed in the late 1940s to make way for the new Rumson-Sea Bright Bridge then under construction. In 1950, part of the old SB station was disassembled and moved to Red Bank for use by the Monmouth Boat Club.
Rail action began in August 1865 when the Long Branch & Sea Shore Railroad opened running from Spermaceti Cove on Sandy Hook to Long Branch (in 1884 the line was stretched to Bayhead junction). It was the great railman himself, President Abraham Lincoln, who allowed the creation of the first railroad to serve the north Jersey Shore. The Central Railroad of New Jersey acquired this line in 1882.
As getting to the beach by auto grew, railroad executives sought to eliminate the line’s “profitless commuter” service which had been in great decline for years. In November 1945, the Central Railroad of NJ ended service from Highland Beach to East Long Branch.