LB hotels …
Magnificent seashore lodgings from a city’s glory days
I’m endlessly fascinated by the magnificent seashore hotels that sprawled along the Long Branch coastline. These grand resorts that once blanketed the city’s oceanfront offer fantastic imagery — mostly from back before the turn of the 20th century.
A natural bluff along the ocean provided a spectacular setting for these massive wooden public palaces. It was an age when Long Branch was the nation’s grandest vacation destination. And all classes of citizens — presidents to peasants — enjoyed the beaches and the breezes.
The first hotel at Long Branch was opened before the Revolutionary War. “Fish Tavern”– located at Ocean and Cooper Avenues — was a simple two-story building offering food and lodging. It mostly hosted seashore visitors from Philadelphia who came by stage-coach. By 1792, it had new owners (Herbert and Chandler) and a new name (“The Shrewsbury”). According to The Story of the Jersey Shore by Harold F. Wilson (1964), The Allegheny House — a converted farmhouse at Broadway and Liberty Street — was the city’s largest hotel when it opened in 1846. James D. Wardell was the owner. It burned in 1866.
At the peak of the Long Branch resort craze, a visitor could get a room including four large meals for $4 per day at the best hotels. But then things changed, like they always do — many of the city’s hotels fell victim to declining patronage and sadly to fire and storms. As early as June 1909, Long Branch Daily Record publishers said “lack of sufficient hotels is Long Branch’s one great deficiency.”
Among the lost Long Branch lodging legends were the: Continental Hotel, Stetson House hotel, West End Hotel, Metropolitan Hotel, Howland Hotel, Mansion House hotel, Hollywood Hotel, Price’s Hotel, Clarendon Hotel, United States Hotel, Elberon Hotel, Takanassee Hotel, Brighton Hotel, Scarboro Hotel, Pannaci Hotel, Vendone Hotel and Atlantic Hotel and many others.
It’s the sheer size of some of these places I can’t get over. Have a look:
Long Branch coast before major hotel development, 1857.
Major hotels along the Long Branch coast, Harper’s Weekly, August 1873. Many of the grand old Long Branch’s hotel were “destroyed by a relentless succession of fire and fierce storms,” according to the late Monmouth County historian George Moss of Rumson. In World War II, George had been a cryptographer for the OSS (i.e., a code-breaker for the CIA).
Long Branch hotels along the coast, 1873 F.W. Beers map.
“On the Bluff at Long Branch” by Winslow Homer, 1870.
Wave Resort & Hotel on the boardwalk, 2022 — Long Branch’s newest hotel. Built by Kushner Companies, the boutique 67-room oceanfront hotel is in Pier Village. MORE INFO.
More to Come — Proposal for a second Wave Resort & Hotel on Ocean Blvd. in Long Branch. In May 2022, the Long Branch City Council approved the plan for 107 rooms with spa and pool. The developer PV Motel, LLC also agreed to built an oceanfront park for the public.
Price’s Hotel at Pleasure Bay, 1930s. Open before the US Civil War, the landmark hotel burned in November 1953.
Price’s Hotel, 1917. The oldest hotel on the Shrewsbury River was established in 1854.
Price’s Hotel at Pleasure Bay, 1916. Born in Oceanport in May 1827, Captain Edward Hartshorne Price was “the best known summer hotel proprietor on the Jersey Coast” when he died in February 1907. His wife Ann (West) helped run the business (her “shore dinners” and “clambakes” were very popular). She died in 1898.
Price’s Hotel, 1910s. Frequently referred to as “a historic Shore landmark,” everyone from presidents to industrialists to actors visited. Presidents Grant, Harrison, Garfield and Wilson were all guests there.
Price’s Hotel in Pleasure Bay, early 1900s. By 1937, the 12-room hotel and restaurant were considered “the choicest spot in Jersey,” according to the Long Branch Daily Record.
Price’s Hotel, 1950. In later years the hotel was run by Price family members, including William C. Price (who was born there). He was also a charter member of the Long Branch Ice Boat & Yacht Club which got its start there in 1901.
Hotel Scarboro on Ocean Avenue in West End, 1898.
Scarboro Hotel, 1882. Using building remnants from the American Centennial Exhibition of 1876 (USA’s first official World’s Fair) held in Philadelphia, Richard J. Dobbins built a hotel on the Long Branch oceanfront. By February 1889, he sold everything to Richard Mears for $78,000.
Hotel Scarboro postcard, 1920s. By Summer 1923 the hotel was greatly reconfigured at a cost of $100,000. The “rambling porches” were removed and the building was “streamlined and stuccoed.” City architect Clarence D. Wilson did the re-design.
The Scarboro Hotel, early 1900s. The 200-room, four-story hotel was located at Ocean and South Bath Avenues.
Hotel Scarboro postcard, 1920s. “One of the landmarks on the city’s beachfront,” Long Branch Daily Record, 1942.
Scarboro Hotel, 1910s. It was the birthplace of Norman Mailer — the Pulitzer-prize winning novelist — in January 1923.
Scarboro Hotel, 1920s.
Hotel Scarboro, 1934. The property included nearly 450-feet of prime city oceanfront.
Scarboro Hotel, 1920s. Louis V. Kahn, who managed the hotel for over a decade beginning in 1905, believed that guests should get “all that’s coming to them and a little bit more.”
Scarboro Hotel, 1935. In 1915, Louis and “Beck” Shapiro took control of the hotel and made big change running the spot in its summertime heydays. The family ran things for the next 30 years.
Scarboro Hotel, early 1900s. The Queen Anne-style hotel also had a fine restaurant and bar and offered ballroom dancing.
Scarboro Hotel with city firefighters, 1920s.
The Scarboro Hotel, 1930s. When it mostly burned in September 1941, it was the last of the grand city hotels.
The Scarboro Hotel, 1908. After the “mysterious fire” in 1941, the city foreclosed on the property in 1945 and it sat in ruins along the oceanfront for about a decade.
Norman Mailer — Scarboro Hotel plaque dedication, 2017. A city native and Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Mailer lived at the hotel, which was owned by his family. He started his writing career here at the shore.
Scarboro Hotel, 1941. The four-story hotel was once a “Shore Showplace.”
The Scarboro Hotel, 1908. The hotel was very popular with Jewish visitors and organizations.
Seaview Towers — built on the old Scarboro Hotel property in 1954 and condemned in 2005 — it was demolished in April 2021. William Marlin, who built the twin towers, acquired the property for $10,000 In March 1953.
Garfield-Grant Hotel, 1920s. Opened in October 1925 at the corner of Broadway and 5th Avenue with 86 guest rooms (each with a bathroom and telephone) and six ground-floor retail storefronts. William Foor was the first manager.
Garfield-Grant Hotel. Named to honor two US Presidents who summered at Long Branch: James A. Garfield, who died in LB in 1881 and Ulysses S. Grant who summered here for over a decade starting in 1869.
Garfield-Grant Hotel, 1958. Designed by New York architect, William Van Alen (1883-1954), who is best known for his work on the classic NYC skyscraper, the Chrysler Building in 1930.
Garfield-Grant building as it appears today. As a hotel, it struggled from the start — in January 1934 the original developer the Community Hotel Corp. went into receivership. Henry J. Shaheen and John F. Kiely bought the business in 1953, when it was still a 70-room hotel with a bar and two dining rooms.
Garfield-Grant Hotel, 1960. Today the building houses business offices and the city’s municipal court. The Monmouth County District Court first opened here in September 1966 (the first lease was 5 years for $14,965). The bar and dinning room closed in August 1965; hotel service ended in 1967.
Garfield-Grant Hotel nearing completion. Long Branch Daily Record, September 1925. Construction cost on the six-story structure was $450,000. Cauldwell Wingate Company of NYC were the builders.
Garfield-Grant Hotel, 1920s. The yellow-brick, terra-cotta structure was “Italian Renaissance” design.
“Continental Room” at Garfield-Grant Hotel ad, Red Bank Register, June 1965. When first opened, the main dining room could accommodate 200 guests.
Garfield-Grant Hotel, 1970s. The Long Branch Daily Record reported in 1953, that the Garfield-Grant Hotel was a “community proposition” project — it was owned by a corporation composed largely of local residents. From 1937, it was called Garfield Grant, Inc.
Garfield-Grant Hotel, 1950s.
United States Hotel
United States Hotel on Ocean Avenue, 1861. Built in 1852 by Frederick Kennedy & Isaac Crater; they sold their interests in 1856 to John Crater.
Map of United States Hotel on Ocean Avenue between Morris and Chelsea Avenues, Atlas of Monmouth County, NJ 1889.
United States Hotel, 1867. When built it was: “an immense structure for its day.” — The New Jersey Coast in Three Centuries, 1902.
United States Hotel, 1875. Samuel Laird acquired the 250-room, 13-acre resort in 1868. He also owned the nearby Mansion House hotel.
United States Hotel, 1875. John Van Cleaf was an owner for many years.
United States Hotel sketch, 1858. When the property went up for auction in 1902, the Catholic University of America was the owner. It sold for $82,000. The hotel was torn down in 1902 and the property was divided into 36 building lots the next year.
United States Hotel on the LB bluff, early 1900s. William Hayes was in charge of bathing at the US Hotel for many years.
United States Hotel. APP sketch from 1982. By 1877, it was considered the “best furnished hotel at the Branch.”
Many names in an amazing career: Here it was the Continental Hotel, 1855. The hotel trade at the spot began in 1832 — with “Cooper’s House” which held 175 guests. The inn continued to grow and by 1855 it was called the National House. It grew more and became the Continental Hotel in 1866. And finally in 1872, it was the Ocean Hotel. Some 1,200 guests filled it rooms in peak summer seasons.
Congress Hall on Ocean Avenue, 1860s. It was an early section of the Ocean Hotel.
Ocean Hotel, early 1900s. Beginning as a farm house for Dr. Elisha Perkins in 1831 — it grew to be the largest hotel in the country as a new century dawned.
Ocean Hotel, 1873. The Leland family took control that year.
Ocean Hotel Advertising Trade Card, 1885.
Leland’s Gun on the grounds of the Ocean Hotel, 1875. The cannon was fired upon the arrival of a ferry at the nearby pier.
Ocean Hotel, late 1800s. The massive hotel and property set along Ocean Avenue at the corner of Broadway attracted huge crowds.
Continental Hotel, 1867. When completed the hotel was a combination of thee buildings that stretched 700-feet along the oceanfront.
Ocean House hotel in the beginning, late 1800s.
Continental Hotel, 1866.
The Leland family took control in 1872 and made the hotel a success. Above is the massive hotel dinning hall (200 x 75 feet) during that summer. The hotel could accommodate up to 660 guests at $5 per day.
Continental Hotel, 1868. The hotel shut in 1903 and the city converted the area into a public park in 1905.
Continental Hotel, 1867. The main section was built by new owners C.C. Sprague & H.A. Stokes in 1866.
Asbury Park Press, July 1951. The dining room was the largest in the country.
Ocean Hotel, 1900. In September 1902, owner Samuel Prosky skipped out on his debts and the hotel never reopened.
Ocean Hotel highlights a busy Lower Broadway, Wolverton Atlas 1889.
Ocean Hotel on a tax map, 1875.
Ocean Hotel, 1895. After much prosperity, Charles and Warren Leland finally sold the business in 1890 with the closing of nearby Monmouth Park racetrack — signifying the end of an era in Long Branch.
“Bathing Hour” at the Ocean Hotel, Summer 1877.
Howland Hotel on Ocean Avenue, 1903. Obadith Sairs built the original structure in 1811 with just 24 rooms.
Howland Hotel in West End, late 1800s. Henry Wardell Howland took control in 1844, expanded operations to 600 rooms and ran the hotel generally with success until 1878. Born In Long Branch in November 1816, he was a father of nine. He died in Asbury Park in July 1897.
Sometimes called “Howland House” seen here in 1868. By 1878, Richard Dobbins acquired the property. According to a January 1923 Long Branch Daily Record story, among those to visit the hotel before the start of the Civil War were Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and John C. Calhoun — infamous Confederates.
Howland Hotel, 1905. Considered to be the oldest of the big hotels operating along the ocean. In 1906 the property was acquired by David Elinsky. It was considered a favorite summer spot for the “Philadelphia folks.”
Howland Hotel along Ocean Avenue, early 1900s. An water view jackpot.
Sarah Howland obituary. Asbury Journal, March 1901. With a neat Long Branch-Monmouth Beach connection.
Henry Howland obituary. The Philadelphia Times, July 1897.
The “New Howland Hotel” on the corner of Ocean and Avery Avenues, 1930s. It was opened in Spring 1926 by Ben Wolfson.
Side-by-side hotel giants along the oceanfront: West End Hotel and Howland Hotel, Sanborn Maps, 1890.
Howland Hotel in its glory, late 1800s (Edward Thomas Collection). A declining version of this would go up in flames in two separate fires, December 1912-Janruacy 1913.
Stetson House, 1868. The hotel was built by Cornelius Lane in 1832.
Stetson House. The first hotel at the shore to employ a band. Also first to have an elevator and telegraph service. President US Grant stayed here during his first Long Branch summer visit in 1869.
Stetson House hotel, 1880s. Charles A. Stetson, Jr. was the proprietor. The L-shaped hotel grew to 300 rooms in its day.
Stetson House hotel, 1867. One of the first images of this famous hotel. It was sold and renamed the West End Hotel in 1870.
Stetson House hotel, late 1800s. John V. Conover sold the property in 1865 for $60,000.
West End Hotel
West End Hotel (c) and West End Cottages (r), 1905.
West End Hotel, 1902. Opened in 1867, it was torn down in 1906.
West End Hotel (r) and Hildreth Pavilion (l), early 1900s. “In it’s day the hotel was considered the finest in the country,” APP 1910.
West End Hotel, 1870s (GW Patch Photo). J.W. Jackson was the hotel builder.
West End Hotel, 1880s
West End Hotel, early 1900s.
West End Hotel, 1903. By 1906, Judge Wilbur Heisley owned the property and he would build the new Takanassee Hotel on the site. Opened in July 1907, it cost $300,000.
West End Hotel (r), 1882. The hotel and cottages were run by father and son Walter and Morgan Hildreth for over 30 years. The family sold all its interest in March 1905 for $150,000.
West End Hotel, 1905. It hosted six American Presidents.
Scenes from West End, 1881. At right is the West End Hotel and left are the West End Cottages (7 were built in 1880). It all was lost in a December 1913 fire.
West End Hotel, 1900. It was the first summer hotel with a elevator and first to offer hot and cold running water in rooms.
West End Hotel and Cottages ad, 1893. Nearby stables could accommodate 400 horses.
West End Hotel, 1905.
The Metropolitan Hotel, late 1880s. Built by Sam and Joe Cooper in 1854. Dr. Arthur Conover took full ownership in 1874; the hotel burned down in April 1876.
Metropolitan Hotel. The 12-acre resort was located at Cooper and Ocean Avenues. The hotel could accommodate up to 600 guests. Rates were $25 per week.
Metropolitan Hotel, 1868. The Brighton Hotel would later covered the grounds.
Mansion House Hotel
“The Morris House.” Built along Ocean Avenue by Jacob Morris and opened in July 1846, it later became the 600-room Mansion House hotel.
Big Deal — The Mansion House hotel on Ocean Avenue, 1868 (it’s now Pier Village). Samuel Laird took control of the hotel in 1852 and greatly expanded the business.
Mansion House sketch, 1863. The seaside hotel was considered the finest of its day. First Lady Mary Lincoln and her sons stayed here in grand fashion in August 1861. According to legend, John Wilkes Booth was a regular guest here and planned the president’s assassination at this hotel.
Mansion House hotel location, 1890 Sanborn Map.
Mansion House hotel, 1870s. After a December 1884 fire badly damaged the hotel, it was finally torn down to make way for a new pier in 1910 (George Gold owned the land).
Mansion House hotel location marker, 2011. Mrs. Lincoln so enjoyed her time at Long Branch she recommended it to the Grants.
Mansion House hotel, 1868.
Mansion House hotel, 1863. John Van Cleaf was an owner for many years.
Mansion House dining room, 1865. H.E. Gawtry and W.L. McIntyre owned the hotel when it burned in 1884.
What About These Long Branch Hotels?
While researching the history of Long Branch hotels, I found reference to several for which I could not locate images. These include: the Versailles Hotel, Grand View Hotel, Murray’s Hotel, Fern’s Hotel, Waldorf Hotel, Union Hotel, Dalton Hotel, Rockwell Hotel, Stratton Hotel, Monmouth House, Bennett’s Hotel, Bath Hotel, Conover House, Senate Hotel, Redmond House, and the Abbotsford Hotel. If anyone does know, please contact me HERE.
Clarendon Hotel, 1860. The original structure, the Lane’s End hotel, was built by Richard Wardell in 1808. Hugh Manahan took control and expanded the hotel in 1835; he sold to Enoch Hendrickson in 1858.
Clarendon Hotel on the ocean, 1868. It stood on the southwest corner of Ocean Avenue and Broadway. Later called the Ocean Wave Hotel, it was torn down in 1906.
Elberon Hotel. Built by Charles Franklyn and Lewis B. Brown in 1876; it was wrecked in a November 1914 fire.
Elberon Hotel, 1889. Owner Louis B. Brown is credited as the key developer of the Elberon section of Long Branch.
Elberon Hotel, 1900. The designers were McKim, Mead & White — the Gilded Age’s elite architects.
Elberon Hotel (l) and the Franklyn Cottage (where President Garfield died in 1881), early 1900s.
Elberon Hotel, early 1900s. President and Mrs. Garfield were said to have loved this spot and spent many pleasant days there.
Elberon Hotel, early 1900s. The grounds included the hotel and several large cottages for rental.
Elberon Hotel, early 1900s. (Edward Thomas Collection). Former US Senator James Smith, Jr. (D-NJ) bought the property in 1904 for $87,000.
Elberon Hotel, early 1900s.
Elberon Hotel, early 1900s.
New York Hotel
New York Hotel. Built in 1867 by Isaac Cooper along Branchport Creek. By 1873 the hotel was called the River Side House.
Takanassee Hotel in West End, 1920s. Opened in July 1907; built at a cost of $300,000.
Takanassee Hotel, 1908. Once “rich with history and glamour,” Long Branch Daily Record editorial, October 1934.
Takanassee Hotel, 1917.
Takanassee Hotel, 1910s.
Takanassee Hotel, 1920s.
Takanassee Hotel, 1920s. The 150-room hotel was on the corner of Ocean and Brighton Avenue.
Takanassee Hotel, 1908. George Rainear acquired the hotel that year for $80,800 but former LB mayor and circuit court judge Wilbur Heisley was the “silent” owner; he died in 1934.
Takanassee Hotel, 1920s.
Takanassee Hotel postcard, 1920.
Takanassee Hotel, 1920s. It was built on the grounds of the old West End Hotel.
Takanassee Hotel, 1930s. The six-story hotel was torn down in 1934.
Takanassee Hotel sketch, 1908.
Takanassee Hotel on Brighton Avenue, 1910s. At far right is Huyler’s Candy Company store on Ocean Avenue.
Brighton Hotel on Brighton Avenue, 1906. The Metropolitan Hotel had stood on the grounds until it burned in 1876. Dr. Arthur Conover did the rebuilding.
Long Branch City Hall Images – Monmouth Beach Life.com
Brighton Hotel, 1905. Russian-born Joseph Margolius ran the place for 25 years; he died in 1933.
Brighton Hotel, 1910. Also known as the the Ambassador Hotel, it burned in January 1929 and was rebuilt.
Brighton Hotel, 1910s.
Bel-Air Hotel on Brighton Avenue (previously the Brighton Hotel) just before it was torn down in March 1965. Harry Barsamian had acquired the hotel in 1953.
Brighton Hotel and Cocktail Lounge ad. Long Branch Daily Record, May 1941.
The Bel-Air Hotel in West End (previously the Brighton Hotel) is torn down. Long Branch Daily Record, March 1965.
Brighton Hotel, 1940s.
Central Hotel on Third Avenue. Built in the 1870s, it later became the beginnings of Monmouth Medical Center.
The Hotel Pannaci, 1920s. The location boasted a grand view of the Atlantic Ocean.
Hotel Pannaci on Ocean Avenue near Bath Avenue, 1908. Italian-born Gernando Pannaci acquired the hotel in 1898 for $41,250 and ran it until his death in April 1923. He was the grandfather of the late Monmouth County historian and author George Moss.
Hotel Pannaci. Built in 1868, it was originally Iauch’s Hotel.
Hotel Pannaci, 1907. It was torn down in November 1934.
Hotel Pannaci, 1924.
Hotel Pannaci, 1907. The hotel also has a cafe and restaurant.
Hotel Pannaci, 1912.
Hollywood Hotel, 1907.
Hollywood Hotel, 1902. The legend is that the community near Los Angeles, California was named after the Long Branch hotel.
Hollywood Hotel, early 1900s. Located at the southeast corner of Hoey and Cedar Avenues.
Hollywood Hotel, 1940s. The original hotel was built by John Hoey in 1882. He was president of the Adams Express Company.
Hollywood Hotel promotional, 1940s.
Hollywood Hotel, 1905.
Hollywood Hotel on fire, March 1961.
Hollywood Hotel, 1900. It was a collection of five old seashore cottages.
Hollywood Hotel, 1905. Wrecked by one major fire in July 1926 (started by a firecracker), it was rebuilt. Only to burn again for good in March 1961. At the time of both fires, the hotel was undergoing major upgrades.
Hollywood Hotel postcard, early 1900s. The hotel could accommodate 300 guests.
Hollywood Hotel, 1907.
Hollywood Hotel fire, March 1961.
Hollywood Hotel, 1905.
Hollywood Hotel pool area, 1930s. According to a 1926 Long Branch Daily Record story, the pool (with 427 x 212 dimensions) opened in July 1890 and was “the first of its kind ever constructed along the Jersey Coast.”
Hollywood Hotel postcard. The main buildings were Cottages 4 and 6.
Hollywood Hotel pool area, 1950s.
Hollywood Baths, part of the Hollywood Hotel in West End, 1905. The first Hollywood Baths were opened on July 4, 1890 by John Hoey and shut in 1930.
Hollywood Hotel postcard, early 1900s.
Hollywood Hotel, 1946. The hotel was acquired by RST Reality Corp (Irving Cohen was president) in 1951.
Hollywood Hotel, 1904.
Hollywood Hotel on Cedar Avenue, burned in a March 1961 fire.
Hollywood Hotel, 1910s.
Hollywood Hotel in flames, March 1961.
Atlantic Hotel, East End Hotel, and Arlington House
Atlantic Hotel in North Long Branch. Built by Aaron Christeller in 1862; the hotel could accommodate 250 guests. The area is now Seven President’s Park.
East End Hotel in North Long Branch. Built by Jay Gould and Jim Fisk, it opened in June 1872. Sometimes the place was called the “Grand Excursion House.” A pier and train depot were also built nearby. The area is now Seven President’s Oceanfront Park.
Arlington House hotel, 1879. Hit by a major storm in 1880, the doors shut in 1881. John Hoey bought the property and used the lumber to build the Hollywood Hotel. Later, Nate Salisbury would built “The Reservation” on the property. The area is now Seven President’s Park.
Florence Hotel on Ocean Avenue. Built in 1879 by Richard Dobbins, it later became the Star Hotel. It had 44 guest rooms and was owned by Woehrs and Strause families. Annie Oakley was a frequent guest here. By May 1935 it was condemned and torn down.
Greene’s Third Avenue Hotel, 1909.
Lenox Hotel, 1903. Located on the corner of Ocean Avenue and Broadway. In August 1916, Bryan Kennelly sold it to John Wilson for $10,500.
Lenox Hotel, 1903. It burned down in February 1914 when owned by Bernard Harris of New York.
Long Branch Carnival in Ocean Park at the corner of Ocean Avenue and Broadway, early 1900s. The Lenox Hotel is in the background.
Looking north on Ocean Avenue, 1901. The Lenox Hotel is on the left.
Dalton Hotel on the corner of Brighton and Sairs Avenues, 1909.
Manahasset Hotel postcard, 1920s. (it says Monmouth Beach but the hotel was in Long Branch).
Manahassett Hotel, 1905. The Manahasset Park Association had begun development of the area in 1894. William Wolter owned the hotel prior to WW I.
APP page one story about the burning of the old Manahasset Hotel, Feb. 1929.
Manahasset Hotel, 1910s.
Hotel Phelando at Chelsea and Ocean Avenues, 1921. Offered a “commanding view of the ocean.”
Hotel Phelando, 1911. Opened in June 1909, the hotel was condemned by the city in 1934.
Hotel Phelando, 1912. The hotel had 150 guest rooms and a restaurant that seated 250.
Hotel Phelando. Long Branch Daily Record, 1915. Rosa Pollock ran the hotel for many years.
Hotel Phelando, early 1900s. It was a “Kosher” hotel.
Hotel Ocean Plaza
Hotel Ocean Plaza, 1914.
Newing Hotel on Broadway near Norwood Avenue, 1909. Archie Newing, a city commissioner, ran the place for years. The hotel closed in 1922 and was made into separate businesses.
St. James Hotel
St. James Hotel on Second Avenue, 1909.
Fucci’s Hotel & Restaurant on Ocean Avenue, 1940.
The original Atlantic Hotel, 1911. Known as the “Pavilion Hotel” when built by Samuel Morris and Isaac Levy in 1851, it was bought by Richard Dobbins in Feb. 1879 and renamed the Atlantic Hotel.
Atlantic Hotel, 1908. Simon Glaser acquired the property in 1907 for $18,000.
Atlantic Hotel, early 1900s. The hotel was known for attracting New York City stage actors
Atlantic Hotel, 1920. On Ocean Avenue. The Katz and family ran the hotel for years.
Atlantic Hotel, 1910s.
Atlantic Hotel, 1921. Located on the corner of Ocean and Morris Avenues, it was badly damaged in an August 1925 fire.
New Atlantic Hotel. Rebuilt in 1926.
New Atlantic Hotel. 1930s.
New Atlantic Hotel, 1940s.
New Atlantic Hotel, 1937.
New Atlantic Hotel, 1942.
New Atlantic Hotel, 1925.
The Atlantic Hotel (now the Isle de Capri Hotel) on Ocean Avenues goes up in flames, April 1959. Charles Massa owned the 100-room beachfront hotel at the time. (LBFD Photo).
Taft Hotel on Cooper and Grant Avenues, 1910. It burned down in Sept. 1945. Louis Silk ran the hotel.
L. Rothenberg’s Hotel on Ocean Avenue. Built in 1910, burned in the 1930s.
Rothenberg Hotel in West End, 1918.
The Rothenberg building at Ocean Avenue and West End Court. Built in 1901.
Hotel Milborne on Bath Avenue, 1920s. The hotel burned in 1938.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1920s.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1924. Opened in 1920, the three-story hotel at Ocean and Avery Avenues was badly damaged by fire in July 1962.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1930s.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1940s.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1924.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1908.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel, 1920s.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel resting on the oceanfront, 1959.
Vendome-Plaza Hotel tear down. APP, October 1963.
Bridgewater Inn at Pleasure Bay Park, 1905.
Wardell’s Hotel in Pleasure Bay, 1923.
Wardell & Son’s Port-au-Peck Hotel at Pleasure Bay, 1906.
American Hotel, 1865.
Landmark Hotel at Broadway and Second Avenue, 1990s. Built in 1896, it had many identities through the years.
Landmark Hotel at Five Corners, 1970s.
Landmark Hotel & Cocktail Lounge front, 1987. Then owned by Bob Pichi and Cyril Meyers, it was later commended by the city and torn down in 1995.
Fountains of Long Branch Motel, 1960s.
Fountains Motel on Ocean Avenue, 1970s.
Stef’s Court Motel
Stef’s Court Motel, 1980s. On the corner of Ocean and Morris Avenues.
Ocean Court Motel, 2000s.
Ocean Place Hotel
Ocean Place Hilton under construction. APP, May 1989.
Ocean Place hotel, 2014. The $40 million hotel’s 7-acre grounds at the foot of Broadway had been the President James A. Garfield Park until 1987.
Ocean Place Hilton hotel on the boardwalk, 1994. Ground was broken for the landmark 255-room oceanfront hotel in November 1988. Developers — William J. Maloney, father and son — had acquired the property from the city for $1.6 million. The hotel opened for business in July 1990; Frank Gaynor was the first general manager.
Ocean Place Spa & Resort, 2019. The Dallas-based Olympus Real Estate Corp. acquired the property in June 1998.
Ocean Place Hotel, 2021.
Ocean Place Spa & Resort, 2022.
Wave Resort & Hotel on the boardwalk, 2019. The 6-story, 67-room beauty was built by Jared Kushner’s company. A room at the boutique, oceanfront hotel in the heart of Pier Village starts at $545. MORE INFO.
Wave Resort & Hotel nearing completion along the oceanfront, May 2019.
Bungalow Hotel in Pier Village at Ocean Avenue and Laird Street, 2010s. MORE INFO. Opened in May 2009, the 24-room boutique hotel was built by David Barry, president/owner of Applied Development Company which also built the $400 million Pier Village community.
Pennsylvania Club, 1905.
New York Club, 1905. It was on Ocean Avenue in West End.
New York Club postcard, early 1900s.
Johnson Club House, 1905.
Phil Daly’s Club House, 1905.
West End Shore Club, 1910.
West End Shore Club, early 1900s.
Club San Remo on Ocean Avenue, 1930s.
Club San Remo on Ocean Avenue, 1950s.