It’s About the Discipline
“Have good discipline, Gregory,” my physician-dad frequently reminded me during my Monmouth Beach youth. “There is very little it can’t overcome.”
Dad proudly heralded himself as a person of stout discipline. He admitted that he never would have made it the way he did in life being undisciplined.
First found during rigorous medical school studies, dad once told me that after employing the discipline needed to get his MD degree, he thought “there wasn’t much that could stop me.”
Discipline for him instilled confidence, which he used to construct a truly meaningful 50-year career as a doctor.
“The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.”
It can’t be said that dad was able to do a great job of transferring his concept of discipline into his children’s lives — with some nice exceptions. Perhaps if he explained it more to us kids (dad was a doer, not a talker) we might have had more success with it. But then, that’s probably undisciplined thinking.
Anyway, here some good quotes about discipline:
• “Rule your mind or it will rule you.”
• “What lies in our power to do, lies in our power not to do.”
• “Circumstances are beyond human control, but our conduct is in our own power.”
• “The surest test of discipline is its absence.”
• “When a person is sufficiently motivated, discipline will take care of itself.”
• “Discipline yourself, and others won’t need to.”
• “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.”
• “If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.”
• “Discipline is the soul of an army.”
• “Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace.”
• “The discipline of desire is the background of character.”
• “No evil propensity of the human heart is so powerful that it may not be subdued by discipline.”
• “The secret of success is constancy of purpose.”
• “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”