Monmouth Medical Center: A City’s Healthcare
and the Hazard Hospital
Healthcare Long Branch-style got its start in several rented rooms above a Broadway storefront, Arnold’s Deli. Later on it moved into an old hotel on Third Avenue (the Central Hotel built in the 1870s) which the hospital acquired for $25,000. The hotel had been built by Richard J. Dobbins, a wealthy builder from Philadelphia.
When officially organized in 1887, the entity was called the Long Branch Hospital. It later became Monmouth Hospital (in 1890) and then Monmouth Memorial Hospital (in 1895) and finally, Monmouth Medical Center (in 1958). The School of Nursing opened in 1896.
Today, the 1-million-square-foot teaching hospital with about 1,700 employees is part of the RWJ Barnabus Health network — NJ’s largest healthcare system. Here are some pictures of the hospital through the years:
Dr. E.C. Hazard Memorial Hospital
This 100-bed charity hospital at Washington and Dewey Streets was opened by Dr. Elmer Clarke Hazard in 1921. The eldest son of a tomato ketchup factory owner and fancy groceries magnate, the doctor was born in NYC in December 1874; he died in 1954.
Dr. Hazard’s hospital specialized in pediatrics and obstetrics and operated as a hospital and a nursing school until 1959.