The city’s train system …
At its peak — according to a 1907 Asbury Park Press report — the city of Long Branch had 5 train station stops along its 3.2-mile stretch of railroad operating year-around: North Long Branch, Branchport, East Long Branch, West End and Elberon.
Third Avenue RR, 1890s
I did a bit of digging to learn more about the stations and the trains. If others have better info or more photos, I’d be grateful for the sharing — HERE.
The train line that still serves the city today, started out as the New York & Long Branch Railroad in 1875. It was built mainly as a tourist line for Jersey Shore beach resorts. The NY & LB Railroad had some clout local too. Its 25-year superintendent, Rufus Blodgett was a US Senator for NJ — in between several terms as Long Branch mayor. The Central Railroad of NJ took control of the NY & LB railroad in 1929. Today it’s all part of the NJ Transit’s North Jersey Coast Line.
About Long Branch railroad stations:
• According to Benjamin Bernhart’s 2004 book, Historic Journeys By Rail: Central Railroad of New Jersey Stations, Structures, & Marine Equipment, the first North Long Branch depot was constructed in 1874. A November 1904 fire took that station. In 1907, a new depot opened and would last until 1980 when it was wrecked to make way for the new Ocean Blvd-state highway project. Station Agent Dan Hennessey worked there from 1907 to the day it closed in 1945.
• The original train station on Third Avenue was opened in July 1875 by the New York & Long Branch Railroad. That structure was replaced in June 1955 with a new two-story brick station; A.B. Schurman Construction Co. was the builder. When the $150,000 depot opened it was agreed that both the West End and Branchport train stations would discontinue service. The current station on Third Avenue was opened by NJ Transit in 1988 after electrification was completed. Is it me — or does the appearance of this station get dimmer?
• Little info is available about the Branchport train station. Other then it was located at Washington and Joline Avenues, it closed in 1954 and was sometimes called “Central Station.” After a July 1956 fire, the city fire chief called the building “worthless.”
• The West End Train Station (also called “Hollywood” station) was badly damaged in an August 1921 fire and abandoned after an October 1954 fire. The Long Branch Trust Company acquired the property and opened a new drive-in bank branch in July 1955. Today, it is a Chase Bank branch.
• The original Elberon train stop dates back in 1876. The first stone and brick depot was opened in 1903. It was touched with sad history — President James Garfield passed through on his way to his summer home for a hopeful recuperation after being shot in July 1881 (at the railroad station in Washington, DC); he died in Elberon two months later. The station was gutted by a spectacular fire in May 1988 during a major renovation. By June 1996, a new $3 million Elberon depot was opened.
Long Branch’s first train station. Brown Brothers Photo, 1868. Built by the Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad, the station was located east of Joline Avenue near Broadway.
NY & LB RR train coming through the city, 1894. Note the old city hall at back left.
Old Long Branch, NJ railroad depot sign.
East Long Branch Railroad Station
East Long Branch railroad station sketch, 1878. Built in 1870, at the present day intersection of Ocean Boulevard and Cooper Avenue.
East Long Branch Railroad Station, 1906. The station closed in 1945. The decaying depot was used by city boy scouts for several years.
East Long Branch railroad station, 1910s. The structure was torn down in 1969.
East Long Branch railroad station map and history, 2020.
Monmouth Beach RR Images / Sea Bright RR Images
North Long Branch Railroad Station
Original North Long Branch train station, constructed in 1874.
North Long Branch train station (l) and Post Office (r), early 1900s.
North Long Branch Train Station, 1950s. The building housed ice cream shops when trains stopped after WW II.
North Long Branch Train Station postcard, early 1900s.
North Long Branch Train Station, 1905. Built in the 1890s to accommodate the Long Branch & Seashore Railroad. All trains stopped in 1944-45.
Station Agent Daniel Hennessey (far right) at the North Long Branch Train Station, 1905.
North End Train Station (l) sits abandoned in its last days, late 1970s. By 1983, it would be wiped out by a new state highway connecting LB and MB. The roadway between the MB boundary and Joline Avenue was built by MJ Stavola for about $3 million and opened in 1985.
North End Train Station, 1908.
Branchport Railroad Station
Branchport Railroad Station, 1910s. Located south of Joline Avenue.
Branchport Railroad Station. When Al Matlaw, a Broadway auto dealer, acquired the property, APP, 1955.
Branchport Train Station (r), 1945. Dilger’s Market on Joline Avenue (l). In March 1954, the NJ Board of Public Utility Commissioners granted permission to close the Branchport Train Station.
Branchport Railroad Station, 1930s. Known also as “Central Station.”
Branchport Train Station, early 1900s. At right is a switching tower used to connect the two Central NJ Railroad branch lines.
Branchport train station, 1940s. It was a convenient stop for those visiting nearby Pleasure Bay.
Branchport Railroad Station on fire, July 1956.
Third Avenue Railroad Station
Third Avenue Railroad Station postcard, 1907. It was torn down in the 1950s.
Third Avenue Railroad Station, 1910s.
Third Avenue Railroad Station, 1890s.
Third Avenue Railroad Station, mid-1980s. A NJ Transit train is arriving at the depot.
Third Avenue train station, mid-1950s. The New York & Long Branch RR headquarters is the large one on the left. Built by Robert Tappin, it opened in 1891.
Third Avenue railroad station, early 1900s.
Third Avenue Railroad Station, 1940s. The New York & Long Branch Railroad opened the depot; its administration offices are to the left.
Third Avenue train depot, 1906.
Waiting for a train at the Third Avenue depot, 1910s.
Third Avenue train depot, 1920s.
Third Avenue train depot, 1904.
Third Avenue railroad station, 1910s.
Third Avenue railroad station, 1910.
New Third Avenue railroad station under construction, June 1954. The old 1890s station is to the south.
Third Avenue railroad station, 1940s. In the background is the NY & LB Railroad divisional headquarters.
Third Avenue railroad station under construction, 1955. The cost to build was $150,000.
Third Avenue railroad stations, 1950s. From left: old RR station, new RR station and the NY & LB Railroad divisional headquarters.
Pennsylvania railroad train passes by Third Avenue station, 1950s.
Third Avenue Railroad Station, 1980s.
Third Avenue railroad station, 1970s. Opened in June 1955, it was torn down in the late 1980s and replaced with a new smaller station when electrification of the North Jersey Coast line was completed.
New Third Avenue railroad station, APP 1955. A.B. Schurman Company was the builder.
Third Avenue railroad station, 1970s.
Third Avenue RR trailer before depot construction, 1980.
Current Third Avenue railroad station, 2010s.
Third Avenue railroad station, 2021.
West End Railroad Station
Hollywood–West End railroad station, 1890s. FYI: Hollywood, California became a municipality in 1903 and was incorporated into Los Angeles in 1910.
West End Railroad Station with an approaching train, 1900.
A bustling West End train station, 1906. Badly damaged in an August 1921 fire, it was abandoned after another October 1954 blaze.
West End Railroad Station, early 1900s. Also called “Hollywood” depot.
West End Railroad Station, 1907. The Long Branch Trust Company acquired the property and opened a new drive-in bank branch in July 1955. Today, it is a Chase Bank branch.
West End Train Station, late 1900s.
West End Train Station, early 1900s.
West End Railroad Station, 1940s.
Elberon Railroad Station
Elberon Train Station, mid-1980s.
Elberon Train Station, 1899.
Elberon Train Station — very busy, 1920s.
Elberon Train Station, early 1980s.
Elberon Train Station, 1908.
Elberon Train Station, mid-1980s.
Elberon Train Station, early 1900s.
Elberon Train Station, 2011.
Elberon Train Station, 1970s.
Elberon Train Station, 1980s.
Elberon Train Station and NJ Transit train, 1980s.
Elberon Train Station, 1913.
Elberon Train Station, 1940s.
Elberon Train Station, 1909.
Elberon railroad station, 1974.
Elberon railroad station, 1970s.
Elberon Train Station during a $350,000 renovation project, 1988.
New Elberon Train Station sketch proposal, 1993. It was a $3 million NJ Transit project. Cooper Construction & Management was the builder.
Elberon Train Station is engulfed in flames, May 1988.
Elberon Railroad Station, 1962.
Elberon Train Station in ruins after fire, May 1988.
More LB Railroad Images
Get me to the church … APP, November 1954.
NJ Central Railroad system around LB, 1941.
NJ railroad system around SB, MB and LB, 1887.
J.H. Schenck map of train tracks, 1868.
Cancellation notification by CJ Railroad ending stops in SB, MB, and LB, December 1945.
Back in the day, Summer 1887.