Filing Up in Monmouth Beach
The borough’s service station nears 100 …
The auto service station at Ocean and Riverdale Avenues (near the Long Branch border) dates to October 1924 when property owner, J. William Jones, installed two 20,000-gallon above-ground gas tanks.
When it comes to good location for a gas station, it’s hard to beat the one in Monmouth Beach — conveniently situated along a state highway. The next closest stop for fuel is on Broadway in Long Branch — about 2 miles away.
Although the area is zoned for business, the snooty Monmouth Beach Association opposed the plan back then so Jones obtained a NJ Superior Court order to operate. Jones was a savvy city politico — serving decades on the Long Branch Commission including two terms as mayor (1928-1932 and 1948-1952). Born in Long Branch the son of school teachers, he died in December 1958.
Andy Zeim, a longtime head janitor at the Monmouth Beach School, was also an owner in the 1940s and 50s. Edward Wade owned the Getty Service Station franchise there in town beginning in 1960. The Newark native and 50-year Little Silver resident (where he served as borough fire chief) died in July 1995.
Customers will remember the colorful gas service attendant, Malcolm “Shorty” Kirby, who died in 1994 and the longtime auto mechanic, Arthur Jensen, who died in 1983. The station had major gas rationing periods in the 1940s and 1970s.
Nearly a century since its opening the business still operates — recently renovated and reopened. Today, it’s a Liberty Petroleum fuel station. Open 7 days weeks from 6 am to 9 pm.