10 Things I Love About the Beach
The unofficial start to the Jersey Shore beach season is Memorial Day weekend. Monmouth Beach rests at the heart of the shore for me and many others.
While we must share it with others, us all-year shore residents shouldn’t blame them for the unique draw of the beach. Deep down though, we beach lifers have a special love and regard for the sand and the sea. Here are some of the reasons why:
1) We’re true environmentalists — Real shore people never leave behind beer bottles, soda cans, newspapers, smoke butts or anything else for that matter. Litter is a moral corruption. Being a guardian of the coast is a great trust.
2) It’s communicates with us — The sights, the sounds, the smells … they become part of our persona. The beach embodied. For many, it reaches a point where we can’t quite properly function without being close.
3) Sand is king — We never really get the sand out from between our toes. It’s also in the house, the car, the shower, the hair, the kitchen floor. It’s a warm and wonderful problem to have.
4) Walk to wonder — Go to the beach and take an hour’s stroll close along the shoreline. Travel in the morning or at dusk. If you finish and still feel poorly, you’re hopeless.
5) Guilt free — Sitting and staring in or at virtually every other locale will bring, at some point, feelings of wasted time. Never at the beach. The time is yours to do as with you please. Relaxation becomes the habit.
6) We know the ocean’s might — In one single day it can wipe out your home, your goods, your confidence. And while respect for its power and persistence comes with the territory, the draw of its splendor wins you back.
7) It’s forever home — You can travel the globe and see its sights and splendors, but you always want to come home to the beach. It’s your land. They’re carrying us out.
8) Riding the wave — It’s called body surfing and some shore kids learn how to even before they’re real good walkers. Catching the right wave can offer a sublime connection with nature.
9) For the birds — True peace can be gained by watching birds at the beach. And it gladdens me that years of beach replenishment have helped endangered shore birds (Least Terns and Piping Plovers) to again flourish.
10) Fall Favorites — It’s when the crowds disperse and the temps drop that the shore area is at its seasonal finest. The month of October on the Jersey Shore is as close to weather paradise that it gets.